1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pomeranian is in labor but need advice!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by badnfluinz, May 17, 2009.

1. badnfluinz

badnfluinz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Viola, Illinois
    I have a 2 yr old pom that is due on the 22nd. Today I seen the water sack hanging out. I place her in her welping box and she stayed but not wanting to. She keeps licking herself and a little while later the sack retracted back inside. She is not having contractions but is leaking alot. There is also an odd smell in the bathroom where she is at. This has been going on for several hours now and she isnt stressed over it but I am . Should I call the vet or just wait until morning? The smell is what is concerning me. This is her second liter and her first she didnt have any complications. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Becky_H

Becky_H Chillin' With My Peeps

Call your vet. An open amniotic sack for too long is an invitation to bacteria to invade. That's not even dealing with the possibility of a decomposing dead pup in there.

3. badnfluinz

Apr 9, 2009
    Viola, Illinois
    Thats what I thought too. I hate emergency calls!

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Why do pets always decide to have issues after normal vet hours, LOL, I hope your baby is ok, and her babies are ok too, keep us updated!

5. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    The smell is most likely just the birthing smell. After the first water breaks you do not want her to go longer then 2 hours pushing on one pup. After that it is c-section time. Here is a link to a site I felt was very helpful when my pug was in labor. http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/whelpingphotos.htm

Last edited: May 17, 2009
  6. badnfluinz

Apr 9, 2009
    Viola, Illinois
    Oh really hope she will be ok. She is my baby! For a pom she is normally very quiet and not yappy like the others. She is the sweetest little girl I have and ever seen. Oh Ya never during business hours! Spend more money on emergency calls mom, you love me! Already had an emergency room visit with my son this week , he clothslined himself and couldnt breath. They took xrays and he is fine just badly scaped up and bruised. BOYS!

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Yup. Call the vet or go to the emergency room. Much better safe than sorry!

8. badnfluinz

Apr 9, 2009
    Viola, Illinois
    I have sat and watched her, she is not having any contractions. Her poop is bloody too.

9. Stina

Stina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Allentown, PA
    I would definitely say that it calls for an emergency vet visit

10. badnfluinz

Apr 9, 2009
    Viola, Illinois
    I didnt call the vet. The sack has been retracted and she seems ok. Acting normal. But I am keeping a very close eye on her! I will keep posted if I go to vet today. Definately tomarrow even if she is fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by