1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Pommeranian DUCK?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MysticalMom, Aug 14, 2010.

1. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    I came across these two articles in my late night internet travels:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/poultry/ducks/pommeranian/index.htm
    http://duckhobby.com/pommeranianuckbreed.html

I know the Pommeranian Goose of course (although apparently I have been spelling it wrong, with only one M, for years [​IMG]), they're one of my favorite breed of goose, but I have never seen, or even heard of, a Pommeranian Duck. ?? I tried to search the net further, of course, but couldn't find a picture. The only images I can find are of the geese, or of magpie ducks. ?? Anybody know these ducks or have a pic I can see? They're described as green-glowing black or blue-gray with a white breast pinafore and a trustful nature.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    I remember reading something about the Pommeranian Ducks awhile ago, and there were pictures...if I remember where, I'll post the link.

They looked a LOT like Swedish ducks. [​IMG]

3. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  4. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    Ohhhhhh! Thank you ladies. I was curious. And you're right... they do look very much like my swedes. Wonder why they're so elusive and rare?

5. katharinad

The website states that they either come in blue or black. Colors in between are mutts. Very strict rules apply to the colors. They now also have bantams available. I start to think I should import some German breeds. They have a very nice list of other German breeds you never hear about in the US.

6. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    are you sure these aren't just European Swedish ducks? The Swede originated in a region called Pomerania. They European ducks have a MUCH cleaner bib and neater color all the way around and are lighter

7. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    Quote:You know that makes perfect sense. My husband said the same thing. But I didn't believe him.. because well... he's my HUSBAND. [​IMG]

8. katharinad

They are saying on the German site that they have cleaned up the colors and patterns out of the so called Swedish ones in 1930 and called the new ones Pommeranians. Since then they are two different breeds, even though they started from the same stock and there are similarities. They are supposed to have more meat on their chest with a split breast distribution and not heavy in the thighs.

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    well here is a link to a UK website featuring Swedes. You can see they are very small cleaned bibbed, but if you look at most American Swedish they have very large bibs and they are very sloppy mine being an expample. I have a few with the nice tight bib but they are few and far between. We use a European style of standard with the breed but ours tend to be larger and have sloppy bibs. IMHO there are very few Swedes that fit the APA standard mine included. These would fit the standard well

http://www.domestic-waterfowl.co.uk/swedish.htm

if you go on feathersite here there are some nice clean bibed swedes but one sloopy one. I dont think some of these breeders have the ducks any more. You can go to my site to find what a American Swedish mostly look like. Mine have won several Best Medium Duck awards. Three to be exact out of 4 shows and 2 reserves but they still have faults

10. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    Quote:a couple of mine have heavy split breasts too. I still stick to my theory. They might be correct but you can see the similarities between the UK Swedes and the "Poms" they both have the stream line bodies where you see ours being more bulky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: