pond drainage

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MamaChic21, Mar 5, 2011.

1. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
    Got a 165 gallon pond for my 3 ducks last summer and to renew their water, I would use buckets of water to empty the pond out. It's not working out for me, my back was killing me. This summer I'm planning on doing a drainage for them but how ? What sort of drainage do you all use ? I'm a picture and learn kind of gal, so if anyone has pic's, it will be greatly appriciated. Thank you [​IMG]

2. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:I just use a pump as I was afraid to put a hole in my liner. You can also use a wet/dry vac to do the same thing.

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Quote:I just use a pump as I was afraid to put a hole in my liner. You can also use a wet/dry vac to do the same thing.

[​IMG] i have a 600 gallon pond that i use a sump pump on, then for the remaining water i use a wet dry vac to get all the goo and water out.

4. MamaChic21

MamaChic21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Jackson, NJ
  5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    yup, i just have a small 8 gallon one and it works great.

6. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    I use a 1/16 hp sump pump from ace hardware about 80 dollars. Drains it all the way down. I dont need the wet dry vac to finish, cause theyre big kiddie pools so I just flip em and hose em out before refilling.

7. TTeddy

TTeddy Out Of The Brooder

You don't need a huge pond with a pump! Just something big enough for you to empty daily is fine!!! Just make sure that it's not too deep and that they can get in and out. Ducks can drown!

8. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    TTeddy, please pay attention to the question asked when posting. They wanted suggestions for draining the pond for cleaning ect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by