pond size and duck stink

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Sep 14, 2010.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Stink:
    Still haven't built the 3 runners a pen - soon.
    A new option came to me last night that would allow extra security for them - a wall of the house and a side of the deck. Would 3 runners (and maybe a couple more next year) be too much stink to be that close to the house (right off the deck which will get decent use in the cooler weather)? Will a quick hose down every day or two or so help with that or should we stick to the closer to the shed under the tree option.

Pond:
    There is a leveled out spot in our yard near the house where the previous owners had an above ground pool. DH wants to haul in some more clay to create a berm of clay to create a pond in that area.
    1 - will that work (he wants to use liner or the powdered stuff you mix with the top layer of pond to create a non leaky pond)?
    2 - what size would 3-5 runner ducks need to not be NASTY? It's close to the house for power for a pump or aeration to help make it less nasty, but I don't want to deal with having to clean this pond all the time.

2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Well tell you the truth I've gotten plum use to the smell. How big of an area would it be? it would have to be pretty good size so that you can try and keep grass in the pen to keep the poop from building up which is very hard. So really it should be away from the house. and p.s. with my experimentation with the ponds and kiddie pools it would almost be easier to build a pond and get a sump pump and drain every so often. seems like the filters of everything just get clogged up to fast. maybe someone will chime in who has had good luck with a pump and filter.

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Don't really want to be draining 3000+ gallons all that often and refilling it.

4. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    o wow that would be a good sized pond, if it were that big i would try a good sized pump and maybe some aquatic plants. (no experience here so still hoping someone will chime in)
    the plants would reduce the nitrates in the water and I'm assuming the smell too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by