Pond size for Adult ducks...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Momma_Cluck, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Momma_Cluck

Momma_Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    N. West Michigan
    We have 6 lil' Pekin ducklings, and would like to get 2-4 "rare-breed" oriental breed ducks...

How big/deep does the pond HAVE to be?

We were told that some breeds MUST have large ponds with at least 2-ft depth ???

Otherwise-- will set up a larger kiddie pool with ramps.... is that big enough??

2. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    I have Welsh Harlequins and they do fine with just the small kiddie pool (paid $6 new at W/M last summer), and I keep an eye on the water and change it whenever it starts to get dirty. Filled to the top it's more than deep enough for them to breed, as proof by my WH duck eggs pipping in the incubator right this minute. [​IMG]

I had a larger pool, but noticed that they really didn't use it much other than for mating. The rest of the time they are busy waddling around all over the place looking for bugs, slugs and worms. So I switched to the much smaller pool, which helps to conserve water, not to mention labor from all the trips with the water buckets needed to fill it. And they seem to be just as happy. : )

3. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    Pekin and Khakis, love a wading pool, see website ;-)

4. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I have Rouen and Cayuga ducks.. Both love to root in mud with their beaks..

I have a fair size pond on my place and when they are out a ways in it.. Most times all you see is tail sticking up in the air..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by