Pond Surprise

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by feathersgalore, Mar 27, 2009.

1. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I got home this evening and noticed a big white bird swimming on my pond. At first glance, I thought it was my male sebastopol (since my female is on her nest). But no curly feathers! It was a SWAN! It's wing was trimmed so it must be someone's pet. I guess tomorrow I start asking around. No one close has swans. Any idea on how far a swan can travel?

2. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe it came by car? Over the years we've had chickens, ducks, a peacock and a goose "delivered" when we weren't home. Once the 'nice folks' dumping their birds even left the wire crates. Unless you live fairly close to a waterway I don't believe that swans are all that well-known for hiking. [​IMG]

3. feathersgalore

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    No waterways and it can't fly. You can tell where his feathers have been trimmed. I can't believe someone would dump a swan. There's a family the next road over that raises geese, I'll check with them this afternoon. He's still here swimming on the pond. Came right up to us last night while we were feeding the calls.

4. M@M@2four

M@M@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Ten bucks says it's been dumped! I have had this happen before! Or maybe it's your neighbors?? Keep us posted! [​IMG]

5. ShadyGlade

ShadyGlade Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Believe. I know of a person who had a horse dumped. Nice fairly young horse too. They eventually found the owners. Turns out they were afraid to send it to auction and "just couldn't" keep her anymore. Remember that in our world there are people who dump new born babies. . .[​IMG]

6. feathersgalore

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Well it looks like he was dumped. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him. He will swim across the pond when he sees us coming and ate up some bread I threw to him. Anyone know anything about swans?

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:Believe. I know of a person who had a horse dumped. Nice fairly young horse too. They eventually found the owners. Turns out they were afraid to send it to auction and "just couldn't" keep her anymore. Remember that in our world there are people who dump new born babies. . .[​IMG]

well atleast there are safe places to dump babies now..... in the bc times in some civilizations, if a family that wanted a boy and got a girl, they would drop the baby off in the hills to die [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  8. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    will did you think about posting a found add on kijiji or some thing lake that.

9. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Somebody may have dumped it after it lost its mate--at that point it would be no good for breeding [​IMG] Can you put a nesting box by the lake to keep it safe at night? Consider yourself fortunate--I know many people on here would give their right eyetooth for a swan!

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I know nothing about swans but would really LOVE to see a picture![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by