Pond Surprise

feathersgalore

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Central Ohio
I got home this evening and noticed a big white bird swimming on my pond. At first glance, I thought it was my male sebastopol (since my female is on her nest). But no curly feathers! It was a SWAN! It's wing was trimmed so it must be someone's pet. I guess tomorrow I start asking around. No one close has swans. Any idea on how far a swan can travel?

Maybe it came by car? Over the years we've had chickens, ducks, a peacock and a goose "delivered" when we weren't home. Once the 'nice folks' dumping their birds even left the wire crates. Unless you live fairly close to a waterway I don't believe that swans are all that well-known for hiking.
hmm.png

No waterways and it can't fly. You can tell where his feathers have been trimmed. I can't believe someone would dump a swan. There's a family the next road over that raises geese, I'll check with them this afternoon. He's still here swimming on the pond. Came right up to us last night while we were feeding the calls.

Ten bucks says it's been dumped! I have had this happen before! Or maybe it's your neighbors?? Keep us posted!
wink.png

Quote:
Believe. I know of a person who had a horse dumped. Nice fairly young horse too. They eventually found the owners. Turns out they were afraid to send it to auction and "just couldn't" keep her anymore. Remember that in our world there are people who dump new born babies. . .
hu.gif

Well it looks like he was dumped. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him. He will swim across the pond when he sees us coming and ate up some bread I threw to him. Anyone know anything about swans?

Quote:
Believe. I know of a person who had a horse dumped. Nice fairly young horse too. They eventually found the owners. Turns out they were afraid to send it to auction and "just couldn't" keep her anymore. Remember that in our world there are people who dump new born babies. . .
hu.gif

well atleast there are safe places to dump babies now..... in the bc times in some civilizations, if a family that wanted a boy and got a girl, they would drop the baby off in the hills to die
barnie.gif
hit.gif

Last edited:
Somebody may have dumped it after it lost its mate--at that point it would be no good for breeding
sad.png
Can you put a nesting box by the lake to keep it safe at night? Consider yourself fortunate--I know many people on here would give their right eyetooth for a swan!

Back
Top Bottom