1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pond/tank fishies

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chikenlicken'10844, Dec 4, 2011.

1. chikenlicken'10844

chikenlicken'10844 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    do you know what a "bluegill" (blue gill) is?[​IMG]

2. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I have only caught them while fishing. I have caught them all around the south from rivers-lakes-ponds. Here is a picture.

[​IMG]

3. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    They are fun to catch but stay relatively small. A nice size one would be about the size of a adult males palm.

4. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains
    A lot of people with goldfish or Koi ponds use them to control young so pond isn't over stocked.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    They quite popular as a tank and pond fish down here.

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Just keep in mind that introducing any wild-caught fish to your domestic fish population can bring in a huge problem with parasites. Wild fish are very hardy and usually carry a fairly heavy external parasite load. These parasites are microscopic (except for fish lice and anchor worms) so you won't know the fish have them just by looking. Domestic fish such as koi are a highly refined species of fish.....not at all like the wild fish and not nearly as resistant to parasites. So if you put these wild fish in with your domestic ones, don't be surprised to see a huge outbreak of parasites, many of which can cause fairly rapid fish death. I suggest isolating any new fish (wild or domestic) and observe for symptoms of parasites for a few weeks, treat them if necessary.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by