ponds/lakes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Nov 30, 2009.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    We just recently moved and have a pond/lake in our backyard. My hubby's gonna build the chickens another coop sometime soon (I hope), but for now we have their coop/run inside a fenced off area of our yard (about 1/3 of an acre) with chain link fencing.

We're still trying to think where we're going to put the new coop when he decides to build it. Right now, I really like them being able to "free range" inside the chain link fencing, although I have one rooster that needs his wings clipped or something because he keeps getting on top of the fence and crowing awhile and then jumping over to the other side (the grass is always greener on the other side...lol) and then it's a pain to get him back in. He wants in to his hens but he doesn't realize he can just fly/jump back over. [​IMG]

Anyway, what about chickens around ponds/lakes? Will they avoid it if the coop is out there close to it or will they get in there and drown? We're probably just gonna put the new coop in the fenced in part anyway but I still would like to know in case sometime I let them free range out of the fenced-in yard.

Thanks in advance.

2. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I have a stream running through my property with a pretty sizable pool of water in it. my chickens have had no problems from the water. If you have that much water the main thing to watch for is raccoons.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  3. lishah2000

lishah2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

My coop is near my pond and the chickens do go down to the water from time to time. I've only had a problem twice. Once a dog got into the yard and during the chase the rooster ended up in the pond with the dog along the shore keeping him in the water. It saved the hens, but I had to rescue the roo. By the time I arrived he was too tired to swim out on his own.

The second time a few hens were hanging out with the ducks and when my husband threw some scratch down on the opposite side of the pond the hens followed the ducks into the water. They made it across without any problems and probably won't do that again.

4. ChookHappy

ChookHappy Dances with Chickens

Oct 12, 2009
    Petaluma, Ca
    [​IMG] The looks on their faces must have been priceless! So are they able to float there and kinda kick with their legs or something? Or do they do a doggie paddle sort of thing? I can't picture a chicken in water lol.

5. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I have a stream and a pond. The chickens forage around the pond but never go near the stream.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by