pony blanket (?)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by canesisters, Nov 21, 2011.

1. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Hello All.

Got a question about pony care.
    Here's a little background. Becky was an abuse/neglect rescue. We THOUGHT she was a mini when we loaded her into the back of a pickup - but then she started growing.... [​IMG] Turned out she was about 5-7mo old pony. Anywho - she grew, got socalized, lived many years as a companion to my TB mare. She is now in her 20's. She is friendly and gentle but has never been asked to do anything other than have maners and keep Gail company - both of which she has excelled at. She has been the poster child for easy keeper and has stayed fat and sassy year round for decades. (hang on, I'm getting to the question [​IMG] ) Like most ponies, she grows an IMPRESSIVE winter coat. I've blanket the TB each winter but haven't needed one for Becky since that first year (we had to shave her to get rid of the lice/mites). Last year - like every year, she grew several inches of coat so thick that it's difficult to get my fingers down to skin. However (here's the question [​IMG] ) , when she got rained on, her coat got 'hard'. It looked and felt like a bucket of hair gel had been rubbed in while she was wet. I took the curry and SCRUBBED to break up the curls. It did this everytime she got wet. In years past, as she dried - which takes quite a bit of time since her coat is SO THICK - the curls would just naturally seperate and she would go back to being fluffy. My concern is that those hard, poodle-perm looking curls aren't going to keep her warm. If they're not, and since she takes so long to dry, currying her once they're dry isn't going to make any difference once we start getting days and days of cold, wet weather. Should I look into a waterproof sheet (she doesn't need any warmth as long as her coat stays dry). Should I be concerned by this odd change in her coat? Is it an age thing? Has anyone else ever has a horse/pony who's coat 'auto-gels'?

2. critterrun

critterrun Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    NJ
    mine do that too

they usally just roll to break it all back full to fluff back up

but if all is wet it does not help them
    ponys dont like to stay out of the rain [​IMG]

my girl is getting up there now and does not want to roll in the mud
    so now she wears a sheet blanket if cold just to keep her dry

I think as the get older they need a little help
    my girl has to be in her late 30/eary 40
    I think I got her blanket 5-6 years ago

so my vote is YES for the blanket or sheet as long as it is waterproof !![​IMG]

3. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Has she had her thyroid checked?

4. Faerytalefarm

Faerytalefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    I don't know about the auto-gel issue but I would definitely get her a waterproof sheet. I have two minis and a welsh pony, I don't worry about the cold but being wet and cold can be an issue. I blanket my ponies anytime we are expecting rain in the Fall and Winter.

5. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    I would have her checked for Cushings just in case because it's fairly common in ponies and older horses. However, the same thing happens to my mini... I hate winter! I've been looking at picking up a little sheet for her this year because I get tired of trying to curry out the mud and the curly little coat just will not dry. Darn pony has a stall but just doesn't want to be in [​IMG]

6. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Anyone have a suggestion about brands/ makes / models?
    Like I said - she doesn't need any help with keeping warm - her coat must be about 4" long and THICK (!). But it'll have to be tough and waterproof. I'm concerned that since she's run around naked for all these years, she's not going to be happy about having a sheet.....

7. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    She's getting old and when that happens often their coat does that. Rain proof sheet time. It will keep her coat from getting 'hard' like that.

Schneider makes nice pony blankets in many hard to get sizes.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  8. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    TuffRider, Denier and weatherbeeta are all brands that I have used (or horses at the stable I work at have used) with much success..You should be able to get one right through amazon (just search for pony turnout sheet) or there are also many great sites to order from as well.

She souldnt have any issues with a sheet after a few days, she will act like she has worn one her whole life, make sure its waterproof. Just make sure that you check all clasps, buckles regularly, Nothing worse then going out in the morning and having to find a sheet in a huge pasture due to a faulty belly band [​IMG]

9. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I think warm air gets trapped under that matted pony coat. My minis are the same way. I dont even think they feel the cold.

10. Brody's Broodello

Brody's Broodello Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I have bred & raised welsh & crossbreds for years. the best fit for a pony that I have found was Rambo/Rhino.
    Check out this site for all things pony. The owner is a top welsh breeder so this is from a true pony person point of view.

http://www.justforponies.com

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by