Poo and water questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MamaInPajamas, Feb 28, 2015.

1. MamaInPajamas

MamaInPajamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    One of my chicks keeps getting poo stuck on the feathers around her vent, but it doesn't seem to be actually blocking her vent. Do I need to worry if it's not actually preventing her from pooping? Should I just clip her feathers (I'm a little scared to)?

How much water should they be drinking? Their poo seems plenty...moist [​IMG] I've got a 1 liter waterer, but the four of them haven't even gone through 1/4 of it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Clean it,immediately.If hse is constantly getting it,check for mites or lice.

I usually give any chicks half of their water in the water stakes depending on how big ut is,and how many there are.

3. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    They don't drink as much as we think. Is that what they drink in a day? Well depending on the age. I am assuming they are real young? You can clean the poo off with a wet papertowel and feed them some cooked egg yolk and yogurt, it sounds like you have one with pasty butt. Just keep cleaning until the poo quits sticking. Had to do that with my last batch from hatchery for about a week.

4. MamaInPajamas

Jan 7, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thanks for the replies.

They're three days old. They've been drinking that water for 2 days. They seem happy enough. I'll try giving them some egg and put some ACV in their water for the pasty butt.

5. MamaInPajamas

Jan 7, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    Oh, one other question. How thoroughly should I dry her off? It's hard to get her completely dry with the paper towel. I saw something about using a hair dryer, but wouldn't that scare her?

6. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I suggest on blowing on it.The blow drier may,and or may not.

7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    I just dry them off best I can then put them back in the brooder to get warm.

8. kyexotics

kyexotics Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2014
    My wife gives the 'butt baths', lil plastic bowl they can stand in while she cleans hiney, then she just stands and lightly wraps them in a soft towels for a few minutes, or until petting and loving end, whichever comes last and no problems...If that young, they'll have a lamp they can get under if they're still cold...We don't see any problems doing it this way...

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They need to have fresh clean water daily.

1 person likes this.
  10. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA

Not sure if you have been just waiting for them to drink all the water before changing, but you should be changing it daily, I sometimes have to do it twice because of them getting pine shavings and sometimes poop in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by