poo hanging from butt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bawgawk bawk, Feb 27, 2015.

1. bawgawk bawk

bawgawk bawk Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2015
    Verona Beach Ny
    [​IMG]
    Got my chicks from TSC yesterday and all seem pretty active this morning. But i notice that a couple look like they have poo hanging from there behind (it wasn't there yesterday), should i clean it with a warm damp cloth or ??? You can see it on the one on the right.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
  2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Yes.

Check for.mites too.

Pasty butt is common with chicks...

3. bawgawk bawk

Feb 16, 2015
    Verona Beach Ny

Thx but I'm new at this and what does a mite look like and where do I check for them?

4. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Yes, most defiantly clean it off. This is what we refer to as "pasty butt" and it can kill your chicks. Some people "pluck" it off to also remove the butt fuzz it has a tendency to stick to (ouch!). You can also soak their little butts in warm water to dissolve it.

5. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Wipe it off with warm water on a moist paper towel and then dab a tiny bit of olive or mineral oil back there to help prevent it from occurring again. Pasty butt can back them up and make them very sick if not treated.

Take a bit of uncooked old fashioned oatmeal - the type in the big container, not the pre-sweetened type in the packet - and grind it fine in your blender. Mix some in with their food or offer a small bit as a treat. This will add a bit of bulk to their poo and will help prevent pasty butt.

Good luck!

6. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog

Tiny little things running around.Likely red,or look like seeds.Check for it near the vent (the butt).

I.don't think pasty butt can kill them.

7. bawgawk bawk

Feb 16, 2015
    Verona Beach Ny
    Ty. Had to clean 3 out of six. No sign of mites.

8. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Pasty Butt can definitely kill chicks as it prevents them from eliminating their waste. Some sadly don't realize how serious it can be until they've lost one or two chicks to it.

You can also add a teaspoon of unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to 1 qt. of their drinking water as the probiotic nature of the vinegar will help, as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by