poo in nest

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by archerobx, Dec 1, 2009.

1. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    i got these two new byffs and they want to poo in the nest bucket, how can i break this habit?

also went away for 3 days and the eggs werent collected. some had poo and others mudd on them. If i clean them do I have to worry about them being contamnated?

Thanks

2. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    How high are your roosting poles. Seems to me like they are roosting in their nesting boxes. Try lowering the boxes and/or raising the roosts. Do they have access to the nesting boxes at night? If so, you could also block the openings to the nests each night until the next morning. They will learn after a while that the nest are for laying, not roosting.

3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    wash in just very warm water, it causes the insiide to expand so the bacteria can't enter the shell.
    Normally we just wipe them off with a soft rag or fine sandpaper.

4. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Just wash/rinse, though--don't soak. Soaking gives time for water & possible bacteria to be absorbed.

5. archerobx

archerobx Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Pa
    Thanks.
    I check them everyday and never let them sit in the nests for 3 days Dont want to get people sick. thanks

The nests are buckets on the floor of the coop. the roosts are 2 ladders from floor to mid way up coop and then i have a tree branch connecting the ladders. The other chickens were no probablem but the two i got couple weeks ago are .
    I will close the nests at night. Maybe add a ladder that goes to the ceiling.

thanks again for yall help

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I just started having this same problem.I use 3 egg crates.They would roost on 2 and nest in one.Yesterday there was poo in the nest box with the eggs. I moved the crates and added an old baby crib side in addition to the wood roost I already have in the coop.Hopefully they will stop roosting/nesting in the crate.

7. tulie13

tulie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    NW Florida
    Quote:Also, you should make sure the eggs are COLDER than the water that you use. If you rinse a warm egg in cold water, the egg inside will contract and "suck" the water in through the pores. Along with the water, it will suck in the poop/bacteria, etc. that you are trying to get off!!!

I have a "dirty egg" bin that I put eggs in that need rinsing, and I keep it in the fridge. I make sure they are well-chilled before rinsing them in tap water.

8. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    We filled out girls run with sand and no more dirty eggs!
    I have not had to clean out a nest because of poo, so i
    wonder why yours are going in their nest box...we also
    keep shavings and some fresh hay in their coop so that
    helps keep the eggs clean.

9. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Quote:Also, you should make sure the eggs are COLDER than the water that you use. If you rinse a warm egg in cold water, the egg inside will contract and "suck" the water in through the pores. Along with the water, it will suck in the poop/bacteria, etc. that you are trying to get off!!!

I have a "dirty egg" bin that I put eggs in that need rinsing, and I keep it in the fridge. I make sure they are well-chilled before rinsing them in tap water.

EXCELLENT idea & info! [​IMG]

10. NotAFarm

NotAFarm Embracing the New! Premium Member

Nov 5, 2009
    Illinois
    archerobx, You mentioned that the hens pooping in the nests are new to your flock, right? They are probably being picked on and are "hiding out" in the nest. I had this problem when I combined my this year pullets with my older hens, they all roost together now. Just make sure they have a place to roost that is too far for the other girls to peck at them and that there is a way for them to get to the roost that they don't have to go past the others. This was my problem. The roost was plenty long but the older girls would go to the roost first and position themselves so that the pullets couldn't get on the roost. Another ladder at the other end did the trick. I hope you can get it worked out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by