Poo on chick's bottom?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Carolyn227, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Carolyn227

Carolyn227 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    On one of my chick's bottoms, there is poop always stuck to it. None of the other chicks have this problem. Is this something I should be concerned about? We got them yesterday and were told they are 5 days old, so 6 days now.

2. gapeach717

gapeach717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    North, ga
    Are baby wipes safe to use? I know nothing about poopy chicken butts, but would assume maybe baby wipes could be an easy solution if all is well health wise?

3. MadabtChickens

MadabtChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    Is the poop blocking their vents? If it is then it needs to be cleaned off. I put my chicks' bottoms under warm running water and after the poop is softened up just rub lightly and it comes off. Picking is not recommended. I also blow dry them on the lowest setting because their brooder is in my unheated garage.

4. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    I tried washing it off but it's really stuck on there good. I'm not sure where the vents are so I'm not sure how to look for them? Poor thing's bottom looks yucky.

5. MadabtChickens

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    You need to keep their bottoms clean. It can block their vent and kill them. I use a wet (warm) paper towel. It works good for me. Just don't rub too hard or too much. A lot of times just holding the wet paper towel against the poo for a minute or two will be enough to loosen it and make it easy to wipe off.

Apple Cider Vinegar in their water helps prevent this from happening. I have not used it in the past but will this year when I get my chicks. I started adding it ot my older hens water last weekend. You will find lots of threads here talking about it.

7. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    Thank you so much! The video was very helpful. I'll get right on it as soon as I can. I had no idea it was this serious! I'm glad I asked!

8. MadabtChickens

Jan 24, 2012
    near Branson, MO
    I'm glad you did also. Pasty butt is a relatively new thing to me too and it is tragic how quickly a chick can die from it. I lost one of my silkies because of it. Now I check their bottoms 3 or more times a day and make sure their water is accessible and being used by all of them.

9. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    Chick is cleaned up! I checked the rest of them and found another one with a mild case of it. Cleaned her up, too. I'll be checking on them several times a day and adding in some probiotics or something to their diets. Thank you so much!

10. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    One last question- as I was cleaning one, the worst looking one, she pooped. Is that a sure sign that she was clogged up?

I'm hoping they won't have any more problems after this. I'm going to be checking religiously from now on. Just as my youngest was getting the hang of using the toilet, I find out I have to wash chickie bums! I thought I was done with that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by