Poo pits...do your chickens jump down into them?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wynette, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Okay, so I redesigned a small pen I have in my barn. The pen is 4' x 8' (with access to an outdoor run). I've got 5 standard-sized chickens in there (a roo and 4 pullets/hens).

Anywho...I ended up redesigning the layout to give them more floor space. I bought two cement-mixing tubs from Home Depot, and mounted them side by side. Then, put my 2x4 roost across the top, probably 12" from the poo pit. Nest boxes are under the poo pit. The roost, poo pit, and next boxes are all on one short side of the pen, so it works out great as far as good use of the space; however, the girls keep hopping down into the poo pit, and occasionally they lay their eggs there. [​IMG]

Does anyone else have this problem and, if so, how did you remedy it?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I have plastic containers to catch poo as well but i put hardward cloth with about 1/1/2 inch sqaures, on a hinge so I can lift it up slide out the tubs and empty them.
    I didn't like them walking in the poo pit either. [​IMG]

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey, Lori - that MIGHT work for me; thanks for the idea! Not sure if I've got enough room under the roost or not, but I'm going to tell DH the idea and see if he can figure out how to make it work. Thanks! [​IMG]

4. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    I have 2x4 wire fence between the chickens and their drop.it's not so small that the poo gets stuck in it but not to big the chicken can get in. Will
    [​IMG]

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks, Will, but I don't have the vertical space in this pen, unfortunately, to do that. GReat idea, though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by