Poo Q

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by gertiie, Jun 4, 2011.

1. gertiie

gertiie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    I use the bagged pine shavings from Big R for the coop .
    When I am cleaning it out, and am thinking about using it as mulch in the garden, can anyone tell me about the break down of it, the composting of it. My husband plows
    the garden and he is thinking that it wouldnt be good for all that pine shavings ( less than a kitchen trash bag full) to be plowed in and turned under at the end of the season .
    Garden size is about 30 ' by 40'

Suggestions of comments ?

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Wont really hurt a thing if done at the end of the season. Mine goes in there all year. Composting it would help break it down further but many do not have that option.

3. gertiie

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    What do you mean composting would help it break down further ? As in a seperate compost pile ? then after it breaks down , add it to the garden ?

I remember having a compost pile on our little farm, and I have asked the husband recently about starting one

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Yep, exactly that. Ofcourse you can add in a ton of other stuff that will eventually turn into great soil/compost for your flower beds/gardens etc.

I have a manure pile that the cows keep adding to so we dont have a special fancy area haha. The chciken stuff however goes directly into the garden between rows and gets tilled in every week or so when I run the tiller to keep the weeds down. Pine breaks down fairly quickly.

5. gertiie

Apr 18, 2011
    Warsaw, Indiana
    OK ! I will tell him, thanks so much !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by