1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

poo question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by artsyrobin, Feb 26, 2012.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have had a series of hens getting lethargic, walking little, poo is always dark green and white, kind of runny- i got to thinking tonite, are they being exposed to something? they freerange in the morning- but with this crazy weather- should there be something special i should be doing? i've wormed, dusted etc

2. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    Try some strong organic green tea and see what that does in 24 hours for you. I use it when poos are off in my coop. That or yogurt. Runny poos are not normal. Do they have access to grit? or sand? oyster shells?

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    thats a good idea, i use green tea all the time in the house- i am beginning to think i have some cocci going around, or since they free range part of the time, they got into something

4. FarmTillURdead

FarmTillURdead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2012
    Centerville, KS
    Mine free range too and occasionally this happens or I get really dark loose stools. The tea always seems to stop it. If it doesn't - then I do 2 days with a strong apple cider vinegar - enough to color the water. Some people use it all the time... but I am concerned about acidosis in my birds digestive system... so I limit it. Hope it helps and you get it all cleared up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by