Poo questions

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bizzynik, May 5, 2017.

1. bizzynik

bizzynik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2017
    Kentucky
    I noticed yesterday that there is some bloody poo in the coop. Not a lot, maybe three spots. This is my first flock of 15 total. I've been on Google and read about some diseases. My flock is in between 8 and 10 weeks old. Everyone seems fine. It's really cold here today, so everyone is all fluffed up. Here's some poo I found this afternoon. I'm thinking I'm needing some medicine. I've lost a couple of birds awhile ago, and I don't want to lose anymore if possible. Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

I would treat with them Corid.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon of water or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
    After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

3. bizzynik

Apr 21, 2017
    Kentucky

I went ahead and started treatment with Corid powder 24 hours ago. I've got one hen that seems kind of off. I've seen her drink from the water this afternoon. She went out with her flock this afternoon like normal. She's all puffed up, but then again there are a few others who are as well. The temp has cooled off drastically these past couple of days, so that's not helping all this. I cleaned out the bedding and put fresh in this afternoon, hoping it helps. I've only found one tiny spot of bloody poo since. Thanks for the advice about the probotics afterwards. I'll definitely try that.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains

5. bizzynik

Apr 21, 2017
    Kentucky

When I checked on them this morning, all were still alive, and the one hen was all fluffed up still, along with several others. Which I expected since it was close to freezing last night here in Kentucky. When I went to let them out into their yard here just a bit ago, she was one of the first ones out, and she came with her wings a flapping. She doesn't looked fluffed up at all. There still are a few bloody poo spots but I'm seeing less. I'm hoping that is a good sign. I know that Cocci can wipe out a flock in 24 hours or so. So here's to things looking up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by