1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poo Stuck On 2 wk old Chick's Feet

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rileysgranny, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    I have been changing out the paper towels in their pen every day, but they are still getting dried poo stuck to their feet. A couple of them have had problems walking well or have been holding their feet up. I tried running warm water over their feet to soften it and remove it, with some success, but can't seem to get it all off. I'm afraid I will hurt them or, if the poo is left on, it will harm the development of their feet.

These are the first tiny chicks I've had. My other five were already laying when I got them and I didn't have this problem. Any suggestions?

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    At 2 wks I would think you could remove the paper towels and go with shavings as beddding, now that they know what is/isn't food?

Good luck,

Pat

3. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Try using a little baby soap. Maybe try changing the paper towels 2-3 times a day. In our brooder that had 25 chicks we had to change towels 2-3 times a day and could have done it more. I also gave them "showers if they had poo stuck on them. I use the sprayer nozzle in my kitchen sink on low and sprayed it off, dried them with paper towels and held them under the warmer light (close) for a while. I had to bleach my kitchen sink afterward every time but it worked well.

4. Spires6

Spires6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Ohio
    Also after the first week, I used pine shavings with newspaper on top.

5. scarter

scarter Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Roberts, WI
    Change their bedding and can you let that chick run around on a wet/damp towel for a while so it can soften up? Personally I'd just leave it and let it fall off if it's not too bad.

6. rileysgranny

rileysgranny Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Tennessee, USA
    Wow - some quick replies. Thank you so much.

Unfortunately I am not home all day, so I can't change the bedding much more often. I guess I could do it in the morning and then again when I get home from work and see if that helps. I'm amazed how quickly they soil it with poo and food after I change it!

I'll make a trip to the feed store this weekend for bedding and try the baby soap. With the warming light on I'm not sure a wet paper towel to walk on would stay wet for long enough to do the trick, but I'll try that too and see what happens.

One of the feather-legged bantys and one of the other tiny ones had quite a glob on their feet and I could see it was causing them problems with walking, thus the foot washinig. I was really concerned about getting their feathers wet so I did make sure they were directly under the warmer until they dried out. Precious little things looked pitiful when they were wet - kind of like my late Maltese dog did after he had a bath.

Thank you ALL for your suggestions. I can always depend on all you great BYCers.

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I have feathered leg bantys and they love soaking
    in warm water so in the tub they would go ,its also good for pastey butt, the poo came off.easily
    with a little help.
    but
    the tub had to have a good scrubbing LOL
    and then i had wood shavings in their little brooder. and no problems.with thick newspapers underneat.to absorbed.any wetness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by