Poo stuck on baby chicks help please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by geese11, May 8, 2011.

1. geese11

geese11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    On a few of our chicks only about 5 day old ones their poop is stuck on them does anyone know what woild be causing it?
    Could it be if the are eating the shredded pine?

2. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    It is called pasty butt. Use a warm washcloth or run their butts under the water til it is off. It can clog up and they can die from it if you don't. Check them everyday for it. I'm not sure how long til they outgrow it. I've read some people think adding a very small amount of apple cider vinegar (ACV) to the water helps prevent it. 1 tsp acv in 1 gal water. I give it to mine about every other refill and don't really get it.

3. geese11

geese11 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Thank You so much for that I will do that now

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    yes its pasty. I can be from shipping stress being too hot or too cold. It will go away in another week. In the meantime keep their bums clean. You can put a little oil on the vent area to help keep poo from sticking. I add electrolyte/vitamin in their water. You can also give a little oatmeal in their food or some active culture yogurt. Their digestive system gets a little out of whack when stressed such as in shipping or if too hot or too cold. That causes the poo to become sticky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by