Poo stuck on rear after feed store changed feed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Krist, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Krist

Krist New Egg

Mar 22, 2014
    Our feed store had several complaints about the feed brand they were carried for years so with the new year they droped the company and now we have new scratch and layer pellets making for a mess on everyone's rear. For the most part of the 9 chickens all but 3 have cleared up. I have wormed everyone that was my complaint with the pellets came maggots in December I took it back and got new. Should I do anything else I'm new to all this.

Also my egg production went from 6-7 a day to 2-4 I thought maybe just winter time but others around here weren't getting that many eggs before. I'm a newbee so not sure thought I would throw it out there. Thanks in advance

2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    Check the protein. A laying hen needs 15-19% protein in their feed.

What type is it? Layer ration... Chick starter... Grower/Developer...?

Chickens can be sensitive to changes in their diet. To change their feed, I'd encourage mixing their feed... 3/4 regular, 1/4 new. Then start increasing the ratio of regular feed to new feed... You'll eventually phase the other right out without upsetting your flock too much.

Really, though, I wouldn't worry about the decrease in egg production, unless it's cased by something ELSE other than switching their feed.

Did I read correctly that you found MAGGOTS in some of their feed??? I don't know about you, but I might switch stores and brands completely. [​IMG]

If your flock is getting rancid feed, that could definitely be an issue. Diarrhea and digestive issues (as well as some neuropathies due to mold) can occur if chickens eat moldy/rancid feed.

Is anyone acting fluffed and lethargic, have a weird-feeling crop, or having weird poops?

Let us know of any new symptoms.

MrsB

3. Krist

Krist New Egg

Mar 22, 2014
    Yeah maggots that was when the feed store discontinued carrying the brand and went with a new one. Because we were afraid the old food was contaminated I discarded and completely changed. I didn't change it right I guess but didn't want to feed bad food. It's so cold I'm afraid to wash their rears don't want to chill them I was hoping they would clean themselves the old farmer down the road said leave them be and it will work out.

4. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    You did the right thing to throw the food out. I recommended that gradual mixing of feed only with GOOD feed - never, ever in life feed rancid, moldy, rotten, or bad feed/scraps to chickens! :)

If you wanted to give them a dip to clean them up, you could. You'd have to blow dry them completely (put your hand in between the dryer and their feathers/skin) before putting them back outside. Fill a tub up with luke warm water and set them in it so that their bottoms are submerged - one at a time! ;) Chickens usually calm right down once they get in warm water. Some even suggest they like the spa treatment!

Get a little Dawn soap and work on breaking up some of the chicken-chocolate caught in their fluff. Don't be afraid to pluck or trim REALLY bad clumps. If, after drying, their skin looks irritated, you can rub a little coconut oil on them. :)

Should be good as new!

Or you can follow the age-old wisdom from a farmer who'd never think to give a chicken a bath! :) Whatever you feel is best.

MrsB

5. mebuff daisy

mebuff daisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    What is the Brand name of the feed ?

6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You can trim the feathers on their butts. Have you wormed the chickens lately? Worms can cause poopy butts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by