poo stuck to bums

mama dixie

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 11, 2011
I am unsure if this is a emergencie but I have had one bird die and now one is acting odd. the one that died had a eye infection and then got what now I think was a bad ear infection, she got so bad we put her down. now my big beautiful buff cochin is action really odd. does not want to be social has a lot of poo on her bum is being very picky about what she eats and is just not herself. I talked with a man who has like 100 chickens and has been raising them for a long time. he said there is a cold type thing going on and that I could try corid, so I will be off to get that gee's I just got tylan and it did not help the last bird that got so sick. I am noticing alot of the flock has pastie poo on there bums. what the heck causes that. I have heard it is a lack of grit, I have heard it is worms, and i have now heard it is some type of intestine issue, does anyone know what causes it for sure...

I just do not understand why they all seem to have it. my gut tells me it is because I have had them on apple cider vinegar and it is getting rid of paricites and this is the residue from them coming out.. I just don't want any more of my birds to get sick...

It could be worms. But maybe you should slack off on the apple cider vinegar, maybe it's killing too much bad...? Also there diet can cause them to have runny poo that will stick to the bums. Do they free range? Or do you feed them scrap veggies or anything like that? That usually gives them the extra boost of vitamins or something that (for some reason) helps there poops to de firm.

Last edited:
I have been letting them free range. and I am kinda not putting the vinegar in the water. I did give them some lettuce yesterday but I just dont get why so many have paste bumms. rounder the large cochin is just seeming so depressed and not her self...I got her to eat some scrambled eggs and peas and maybe I will give her some vitamins or do you think that would make her worse...I hope she gets beter

How old are the chicks?

Pasty butt will kill the very young ones. It can be caused by excessive heat, stress, or insufficient water intake. You will have to clean the area often to prevent the backing up of stool internally. Use warm soapy water to clean the area and then coat with vasoline to prevent further sticking. It will usually clear up quickly if you provide a dish of sand for them to eat. Check your temps in the brooder, you may need to raise the lamp.
smile.png

oh and I saw where someones hen was acting like rounder is and it was badly egg bound.. I am going to check her in the am, and may put her in some warm watter to help the egg pass... what causes them to get egg bound.

ok so I just saw that insafiient water can cause this.. they have been drinking water like mad. we have I think 35 birds, I will count when I go to feed and water again and they are drinking 4 gallons of water a day. now that seems like a lot to me. they drink them dry over night or something. how much should a chicken drink a day.

sorry the chicks are like 4 months and the hens rage from 2-5 years old.. I will be washing bums with warm soapy water I gues. I was kinda thinking I would have to do that ho hum but if t helps...

Quote:
The good news is, it isn't pasty butt. Your birds are too old for that. It still won't hurt to clean them up a bit though. Fluffy butts can get a bit nasty from time to time.
sickbyc.gif

The bad news is, I'm not sure what is going on there. If you think your hen is suffering from being eggbound, you could try soaking her in warm water to see if anything happens. Can you feel a mass in her abdomen? I have not dealt with this problem yet
fl.gif
so I will stand back and allow a more experience member to chime in.

Good luck.
smile.png

Last edited:
rounder is doing much worse today., I felt to see if she is egg bound and I dont feel anyting so I dont think that is it. she is getting so thin, I do not see any signs of respatory stress or discharge like a cold... so I wormed her with ivermectin paste wormer. I am making her scrambled eggs and some pease with gatoraid again. just to keep her stregth up...

the new syptum us she is walking on the top of her right foot. kinda hard for her to get up and then she stumbles and drags her foot and walks on the top of it... she has been vaccinated for merics so I dont think that is it. I know joint walking is a sign of parasites so I am going with my gut and I wormed her. I will try to find the link that talks about the best wormer that kills all worms and will worm her again in 10 days. I so hope she makes it. She is more like a dog than a chicken to us. she has never layer a lot of eggs but is one of the first to come running when she sees me and she is a big talker and we sit and carry on conversations over a handful of meal worms or other treats. please if anyone has delt with this type of thing and can tell me anything else let me know....

Back
Top Bottom