1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

poo stuck to butts..why?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I see this in almost all my chickens now.why does it happen?should I add something to their diet? They get layer mash 18% protien, BOSS, A flock block and fresh veggi left overs daily.
    It sticks to all the feathers and then matts them down..how can I keep them clean?

ETA ( fix typo's)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Perhaps their poo is too wet. Maybe you need to cut down on the fresh stuff and let them eat the grains for a while.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You can trim the fluff and feathers with scissors on their rear end.

4. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    If I trim the fluff will it grow back soon ?

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Wendy'sChicksRock :

If I trim the fluff will it grow back soon ?

It takes a good while to grow back, cant remember exactly, but I need to trim my BR's rear ends...they just finished their molt about a month ago.​

6. Mervin

Mervin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I would guess diet. I have a BR hen that has that problem when she eats pumpkin/squash. It's kind of sad b/c I actually raised some pumpkins just for hen treats.

7. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I have two Standard Cochin pullets that are the same way. I don't know why it is just them either because they are all on the same diet, and I don't feed a lot of fresh greens and such since it is winter here.
    I am sure you can trim the fluff. I would only take off what I had to to get the poop off. There should still be enough left to keep their bums warm.

8. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    We've had to do the same with one of our hens when we first got her. We washed her bum with some diluted Dawn and warm water, then trimmed what wouldn't come off. She looks fine and fluffy now [​IMG]

9. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    Washing chickens at this time of year is out of the question here. I have nowhere for them to dry off and they would be poultrysicles outside.

10. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    Quote:We did ours in the summer...but a hairdrier would work too. Or keep her in your garage for a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by