1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

POO

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tink, Jun 2, 2007.

1. tink

tink Songster

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Not sure how to use......I have a bucket of chicken poo and not sure if I should put it in the compost pile or if I can put it directly in the garden.......Any advice!!!! thanks Tink:)

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

You need to let it compost awhile before putting it on plants-chicken litter is considered "hot" and needs to mellow a bit.

3. tink

tink Songster

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Hey Speckle.....how long should I wait. The bucket full is pretty dry. We moved our coop today and I collected it. Didn't want to waste it. Thanks Tink:)

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member 11 Years

I'd wait at least a month or more myself, and that's the bare minimum. I have a compost pile where I put old poop-filled shavings and there's certainly alot of very dry poop, but I let it mellow for months before putting it on plants. Dry or not, it will burn your plants if it isnt composted first.

5. tink

tink Songster

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    TO THE COMPOST PILE IT GOES....THANKS

6. Cheri

Cheri Songster

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    Good! Now I have an excuse why I won't bring my SIL a bag of poop! Like having a baby isn't poopy enough. LOL! The nursery lady told me to go collect cow patties for my trees.

7. tink

tink Songster

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Cheri

Did you every think that you would be talking about poo when you grew up!! Ouch....i just fell out of my chair...lol Tink:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: