Poodles and baby chicks! *CUTE PICTURES!*

My Maddie is very interested in anything that moves. She loves frogs, butterflies, squirrels, birds, ducks.... anything. So we're practicing looking in the brooder. Every time I put anything in it I insist she comes with and watches. I've tried playing chicks peeping on the computer, but she's too distracted when I play it so far nothing.

Aww
smile.png
None of my animals bother them at all. I guess I lucked out! Two dogs and three cats - the cats don't even look at the chicks, though they tested out the temperature before I added them
gig.gif

_MG_4707.jpg

My Maddie is very interested in anything that moves.  She loves frogs, butterflies, squirrels, birds, ducks.... anything.  So we're practicing looking in the brooder.  Every time I put anything in it I insist she comes with and watches.  I've tried playing chicks peeping on the computer, but she's too distracted when I play it so far nothing.

Chloe likes to lick the chicks all over. She cleans their bums. It's gross, but she likes to clean that area on all of our pets :rolleyes:

big_smile.png
Then there's hope that my Goldendoodle won't eat my new babies! The first time I introduced him to a chick, he kind of took a bite and I had to tell him "chicken is not food, chicken are our friends" and in this case... our family. I want him to understand...as best he can that he has to help protect them. Trick is- he has to suppress his natural "bird-dog" instincts.. lol

He does better...but he slobbers a lot.. fingers crossed I can stop that reaction..

76911bc1.jpg

My fatty, Odin(he is a puggle) meeting the new girls in town. I also have a great Dane, but she is too much of a galoot to let in the run. she'd probably sit on them or something. But I did take one of the silchins out to meet her. She sniffed and then lost interest.

76911bc1.jpg

My fatty, Odin(he is a puggle) meeting the new girls in town. I also have a great Dane, but she is too much of a galoot to let in the run. she'd probably sit on them or something. But I did take one of the silchins out to meet her. She sniffed and then lost interest.

I love that chicken with the top hat! What kind of mix is it?

Great Danes are very clumsy in my experience. My fiancée had a great dane/german shepherd mix, and he was all legs :p

I'm afraid to introduce my chicks to my dogs. First day they went crazy trying to get at them. Today one of my dogs is sleeping a few feet away from the brooder without moving towards or showing interest in it so I'm pretty happy with that.

I think that holding the chick close to it's nose will make the dogs think I'm giving them a treat.

I'm afraid to introduce my chicks to my dogs. First day they went crazy trying to get at them. Today one of my dogs is sleeping a few feet away from the brooder without moving towards or showing interest in it so I'm pretty happy with that.

I think that holding the chick close to it's nose will make the dogs think I'm giving them a treat.

I feel like animals are hugely impacted by your feelings toward the whole interaction. If you are nervous, your dogs will be as well. I didn't think twice about putting the little chick next to Chloe on the first day. She loved it from the get-go.

If only I could get her to like people as much as she likes the chicks :rolleyes:

Something to try at later, I'd love for the dogs to be out with my chickens too instead of taking the dogs out while the chicks are in the coop and so forth.

I love that chicken with the top hat! What kind of mix is it?
Great Danes are very clumsy in my experience. My fiancée had a great dane/german shepherd mix, and he was all legs
tongue.png

NOt sure what a top hat is but the one looking at Odin is a silkie Cochin americaunus(sp?) mix and the one behind her is supposed to be a RIR but I have my doubts. We just got them Saturday and are new to chickens. So far we've had a lot of problems but I hope to beable to bring them back to good health.

Back
Top Bottom