Pooey bottomed fluffy butt . . .

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by scoopy82, Jan 23, 2011.

1. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Hey all,
    It appears one of my little chicks has a bit of a pooey bottom. It is 5 days old and has been eating and drinking, just wondering is there anything I can do to clean it up? It is in with 3 other chicks and they are eating medicated chick stater.
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Soak its bum in warm water and then pick the poo off. It's most likely a condition called pasty butt and they can actually die from it because the poo hardens to the point that they can no longer deficate. You can trim the fuzz around the vent and/or apply some vasiline or olive oil to the are to make future clean ups easier. They outgrow it, but you may have to clean the little guy/girl up several times first.

3. thecochincoop

thecochincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

i usually just pull off the piece of poop and then cut the down away from the butt with scissors so it doesn't happen again

4. scoopy82

scoopy82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Victoria - Australia!
    Thanks guys,
    Will go wash its little bot bot now and apply some olive oil (cant find the vas!) and is it too early to give them yoghurt? Have heard a few people give it to their babies and thought maybe the pro-biotics could help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by