poofball - sick or just round?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by spish, Aug 9, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ive been trying to find out what my dear poofball is...and after posting in the 'whats my breed' section it seems people tink...shes sick?

i thought she was just different due to her very very poofball like appearence...she wanders round like a broody (puffed up, feathers all sticking out) but shes only 8 weeks so cant be broody yet...she isnt even near egg laying age.

i have no other symptoms to go on other than her stance. she's just puffed up

droppings are fine, she eats and drinks normal..cant tell if shes pale as she has no comb or wattles to check the colour of. shes not yet been wormed...but then shes never been outside.

shes not a very social chick.shes always been quiet,.she stays to herself and never interacted with other chicks, but adores human company and follows you about (with her broody like walk)
    someone mention there could be a problem with her neck, thats what makes her look more puffy??

a few pics from 3 day old to 8 weeks old (most recent but will get some more pics once OH comes home with the camera in about 30mins)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any help/suggestions/comments would be helpful...i never thought there was anything wrong with her until someone else said there was.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] boy, she is sure cute [​IMG]

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    That does look like she's not feeling well. They will puff up and not be real social when they don't feel good. I'm not sure what to tell you to do though.....

Others will surely come along to help!

Good luck!

Sharon

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    She looks like cuckoo marans. She probably either has cocci or mareks. It appears you are raising them in a cage so cocci is not very likely but can happen.

I would treat your chicks for cocci by getting some corid at the feed store. It is in the cattle section. If that does not work, it is probably mareks.

5. Pretty Birdie

Pretty Birdie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    She looks like a barred rock. My barred rock is sort of fluffy, perfectly healthy, but the softest and fluffiest of my hens. I would say that she looks just fine, but the part about being quiet makes me not so sure..... You say she's always been like this, so it is possible that is just her personality, but all the same, keep a REALLY close eye on her. If you notice any other symptoms, then you can start to get worried. [​IMG] If not, though, I think she'll be fine.

6. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    I am glad you posted here. My marans dont walk around like that, in fact they are insane!!!! Thats what makes me a bit worried. They are flapping and running around and are massive girls. You could always try duramycin to start, or give her some yummy yogurt too. What are you feeding them?

7. JakRat

JakRat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Dover
    also baby vitamins Poly-Visol

Retracted under breast... Nutritional deficency-vitamin E; Newcastle disease

saw this on a website... seems like a vitamin and anemia possiblity from what I was reading. Take her to Jamba Juice and get her a boost!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by