poofball....which ends the front end?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by spish, Aug 9, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    any ideas what this little beauty is? shes about 8 weeks old now and its getting more and more difficult to find the eating end from the pooping end! she's all feathers!
    clean (featherless) legged..pink legs, no comb or wattles. big chest, big rump, very round..some of the longer feathers taper out at the ends like little threads hanging down
    but very very long secondary feathers on her wings? so long that they overlap the primary 'flight' feathers??
    she 'acts' like a broody the whole time (puffed up) but is only 8 weeks so not even laying yet...so i dont know if its just the way the feathers sit or theres something wrong with her?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  2. Oobhakeb

Oobhakeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Lancaster, Kentucky
    She looks like a Barred Rock to me. I have one as well.

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    barred rocks have yellow legs and a single though?

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Looks barred rock to me as well, but why is she sitting like that...is there something wrong with her neck? do you have any other pictures of her?

5. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    thats how she sits and walks, think how a broody hen walks...puffs up all her feathers.....thats how she is 24/7 (hence why i joked which is the front end...sometimes you just cant see her head!)
    dont think theres anything wrong with her neck..its always been a bit 'short' but shes growing fine...is there a breed wth short stumpy necks?

shall try and get a video of her as she walks...you can normally see her face a bit better then!

this is her aged about 3 weeks
    [​IMG]

and her at 5 days old. shes always looked a bit different to the rest to me

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    She looks kinda ill to me. She's too young to be broody - the last time I had a puffed up chick like that it turned out to be cocci. My broodies poof up too, but they poof OUT with their heads held high like "SEE ME I AM BROODY STAY OUTTA MY WAY". [​IMG]

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I agree, something seems wrong with her...that is not normal.
    Maybe someone else has a different idea.

8. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    should i try posting in the emergencies part? now you've all got me worried...she doesnt 'act' sick? just poofed up? she's eating, drinking, moving and pooping fine?

the poofiness has slowly developed since she started getting her feathers in (around 2-3 weeks of age) and has kind of poofed up? could it be a genetic problem?

edit - ive now posted in the emergencies section [​IMG]

9. Erin~TheChickenLover

Erin~TheChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Arkansas River Valley
    Pink legs and speckled probably means she is a cuckoo maran, but she could just be a pet quality barred rock, too. Something is definently wrong with her, though. I hate to say this, but in those pictures she looks very much like she is in pain. Chickens try not to show weakness, as it would be a death sentence, so she may not act like anything is wrong with her. The fact that she has such a pale face and no comb is a very bad sign and means she is not growing right. I hope you can find someone to help you and get your little girlie better! [​IMG]

10. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Erin~TheChickenLover :

Pink legs and speckled probably means she is a cuckoo maran, but she could just be a pet quality barred rock, too. Something is definently wrong with her, though. I hate to say this, but in those pictures she looks very much like she is in pain. Chickens try not to show weakness, as it would be a death sentence, so she may not act like anything is wrong with her. The fact that she has such a pale face and no comb is a very bad sign and means she is not growing right. I hope you can find someone to help you and get your little girlie better! [​IMG]

so it could be something shes had since birth and ive not noticed? [​IMG] i just thought she was something special thats why i wanted to know what people thought she was

but im glad ive posted now and people have pointed out shes not right, maybe i can do something for her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by