Pooing when excited?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bird_brain_scientist, May 14, 2011.

1. bird_brain_scientist

bird_brain_scientist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    Hello, BYC, and thanks for the great forum! As a scientist (no, not a bird scientist), I wondered whether any of you also noticed the following pooping phenomenon:

Every day I let my four chicks out in front of their brooder for an hour to chase some yogurt and be handled. Now, it seems that for the first 5 minutes they are always busy getting a whole lot of poop out of their systems! They seem to let the smelly yellow mustardy kind fly in particular. [​IMG]

That said, this works rather well, because once I have counted four mustard blobs I can let them zroam on the carpet and pick up their solid turds with less obvious staining.

Am I crazy or do others here notice the same thing?

Also, I read they poop on their roost when they are older... does that mean they'll poop less when they're wandering around?

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Yep. Quite normal! Ours are usually pretty sticky too. It's called Ceacal.

I have a dog that reverse sneezes and has excitement urination, and now my chickens poop themselves when they are excited/happy. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  3. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    Haha!!!!!!!! I was actually drawn by the title. [​IMG]

My chicks do this too! [​IMG]

4. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:Your house sounds like fun ! [​IMG]

5. bird_brain_scientist

bird_brain_scientist Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2011
    LOL, your guests will soon be amused by all the pets running around with diapers in your house!

I wonder why they always poop out the caecal first?

Tonight I counted only three blobs but felt I had waited long enough, and invited my baby welsummer up onto my arm. As soon as she settled in, she made that satisfied, squinty kind of stretch and before I could react -- SPORT! There goes another set of pants into the washer! [​IMG]

**Moral of the story** count your poops before you greet your peeps!

6. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Mine pooped on me for the first time this week! Right down my neck as she was sitting on my shoulder! [​IMG] I feel ur pain!

7. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine do this as well, especially my EE though. She loves to fly so she lightens her load by clearing out her guts. But once she's done she usually doesn't need to again for about 30-45 minutes. I've only been pooped on once so far, I know theres more to come though.

8. LeeLynns

LeeLynns Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2011
    Barry Texas
    Quote:Well, I am in no means an expert here.... BUT, I have had my 4 baby chicks now for .... starting week 3. I TRULY BELIEVE these girls are PROFESSIONAL POOPERS!!! It seems all they do is EAT and POOP!!!! EAT and POOP... I just love them all.. So I guess that it seems normal to me at this point! I took them outside for the very first time yesterday, and they didn't like it at first.... They all SCREAMED for about 1 -2 mins - like they were being attacked... but then - they figured out... grass is good... then the Cycle Started - EAT AND POOP... I now have a BUG FREE AREA in my yard!!!

Good Luck...
    Rick

PS. Thank You BYC - and fellow Chicken friends - you folks are so supportive, and really help us newbies! many thanks to each and everyone of you!

[​IMG]

9. zeus

zeus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    norfolk county
    hahaha! yes...thats all they do...until they start laying!! it's a full time job!!...yes,they poop...and they poop on their roost when they get older-mine do,and theyre 11 months..and they also poop now,when they get excited or startled...fun stuff!!they love yogurt though!!-gets fun when they are older and they actually fling it off their beeks at your pants-keep clear!haha!good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by