pool chemicals

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by stargazingmommy, Jun 20, 2011.

1. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    We have a big pool all set up and no weather to use it.
    We use chlorine tabs in a closed container.
    Will the chlorine hurt the ducks for short swim periods(30 mins or so)?
    My boyfriend stuck them in there yesterday not even thinking about the chlorine. The ducks didn't seem worse for the wear after an hour in it.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I doubt that you will have a serious problem after one session in the pool. Here is what I know and what I'd be concerned about with the pool.

Chlorine kills the good bacteria in a duck's gut. And ducks being ducks, they're going to ingest a good bit of that treated water.

There are some who feel that the chlorine does more good than harm, in fact, when it comes to keeping duck pool water less scuzzy.

But I feel (based on some study of microbes) that the gut flora do alot for a duck's immune system, so the more regularly a duck is exposed to chlorine the less well the immune system will function.

Also, ducks can be susceptible to vapors that irritate the lungs. Chlorine can do that. It may also irritate eye tissue and sinuses. The irritation may lead to infections, which can become serious.

3. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:wow thanks...
    I don't chlorinate their pool, well, add chlorine. The city water has it already.
    i just change their water out often.
    thanks

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    When we had chlorinated city water (which was pumped from the Ohio River downstream of Pittsburgh then filtered), I'd set a bucket of water out for a day before adding it to our tiny fish pond. But it wasn't nearly as whiffy as some water in another city we'd lived.

Also, some pools seem to be much more whiffy with chlorine than others. I don't think the occasional dunk is going to do much harm, especially if you're not heavy-handed with the chlorine.

I think it's great that you're thinking about the ducks' wellbeing.

5. stargazingmommy

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    Quote:We rely more on straight filtration and keep the chlorine on the low side, one of my kids is very sensitive to it.

its so much fun watching them in the big pool, diving deep and swimming in big circles.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Sometimes I think I'd like to see my runners in deep water. But truly, they seem quite happy in 8 inches of clean well or rain water, in a safe environment. Glad you have the pool for them to enjoy sometimes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by