Pool or No pool??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flossyfelix, Dec 9, 2016.

1. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    The next couple of days & nights are suppose to be VERY cold here in Southeastern North Carolina! The coldest it has been in 10 months, I think is what was said. Mid-Low 40s during the day & Mid-High 20s at night...so with that being said... what should I do about their Kiddie pool? Should I leave it out of their house/pin completely until it warms up or should I just take it out at night?? They will NOT be free ranging bc I can't trust them to come home from the pond when it is time & it's entirely to cold for them not to be home! I would worry myself sick! So. Pool or No Pool??

2. allergymama

allergymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Michigan
    If it won't freeze, leave them with it. The only time mine don't have access to swimming water is when everything freezes over completely and we can no longer break through the ice on the pond. (Mid Michigan and we are already down in the teens, but can bust through the ice each morning for them.) they like the water. It's good for them. And they won't get too cold with it. (They do just fine here with no external heat source through Michigan winters where it can easily get down to -15.)

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    If it's a cheap plastic kiddy pool, dump it and put it away for the winter. It will become brittle and split in the cold weather. Buy a 5-15 gal black rubber feed pan for them to swim in. It will do the job and if they freeze just turn it over and stomp on it. The ice will pop out.

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in the "no pool" camp when it's cold enough for water to freeze. I don't want them going into the coop at night with frozen feathers, so the pools have now officially been put away for the winter and tubs/buckets will have to suffice (and they, while not particularly happy about it, will be fine until we have a warm spell).

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

No POOL.........I only set up the pool on warm days......Believe me.....They will be fine with no pool.....Deep freeze here..-40 Celsius with the windchill......- 5 with no wind I fill the pool for a dip.........

Have no worries....Ducks do not need to swim or bath all the time.........

Cheers!

6. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    We agree with Percheron chick. Plastic pools will crack or bust, so pack them away until spring. Rubber tubs work as she stated, we still have many of our original tubs. [​IMG]

We are in similar climate, as we are in Tennessee. We've raised thousands of domestic and exotic waterfowl for almost thirty years and we provide bathing/swimming water for our birds every day. The birds love it and are "cheering" us on, as we go out to dump ice tubs and fill with fresh water or break ice on the ponds. It's a lot of work for us, but a labor of love. In all these years we've never had one become frost bitten. But apparently someone on this site, in the past, did have a call duck, in a northern location, that froze in their water bowl over night and suffered frost bite. So just to be on the safe side, you can prevent them from accessing the tub during the night time.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your ducks.

7. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    What do y'all think about lights?? Just in general, not just when it's cold. I've always had a little light on Flossy, since I got her. But idk if it's for my security or theirs...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by