pools with valves help !

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hunterjumper999, Jul 2, 2010.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    I am thinking of putting in a larger pool for the ducks...

I see mention of valves ect and im wondering how its done.

can someone explain and give me detailed instruction and materials?

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

[​IMG] 3/4" x 1" PVC Male Adapter @ $0.77
    [​IMG] 3/4" Threated PVC Ball Valve @ $3.17
    [​IMG]Two #11 O-Rings (3/4") @ 1.97 for 10 pieces

All pieces are available at Home Depot or other hardware store. Make sure to cut your hole as tight as possible. Put the Male Adapter with an o-ring inside of the pool, add another o-ring outside and screw on the ball valve. No glue needed. Really simple.
    You can also buy a hose adapter, which you can screw into the outer part of the ball valve. This enables you to connect a garden hose to it, so you can have the dirty water discharge anywhere in the garden.
    [​IMG] 3/4 In. x 3/4 In. MPT x MHT (Male Hose Thread) PVC Hose Thread Adapter @ $0.99

The prices given are from Home Depot. They do not include sales taxes. Take this list with you to the hardware store and have someone help you. Make sure they all screw together before you leave.

3. Kekko

Kekko Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Western IDAHO
    I got a large pond liner, used a hole saw and cut a hole at one end of it that fit a shower or floor drain. Installed the floor drain in the pool and attached a 2” PVC pipe to it. Where I installed the pond liner has somewhat of a slope to the ground but I only buried the liner about half in the ground. I then sloped the ground up to the edges of the pond. I put cinder blocks around the drain and pipe for support under the liner. I then ran the 2” PVC pipe out to ground level where I put a 2” plug on the end of it. All I have to do is remove the plug and the pond drains in a matter of minutes. I hose down the pond liner washing everything out the pipe and then put the plug back in and refill the pond. I also have a small pump in the pond to circulate the water which helps keep it from getting stagnate. I change the water once a week or as needed. I put some large rocks in one end of the pond for the ducks to use to get in and out. They also like to stand on them to rest. I’m sure it’s not the perfect pond but seems to work for me! I still have to finish the area around the pond as it is still bare ground and they love the mud they make!

4. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    Quote:AWESOME! thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by