Poop Analysis, please!

KGQuail24

Chirping
Jun 6, 2021
I purchased 6 coturnix hens yesterday from a (NPIP) breeder I haven't used before, all between 3-6 weeks of age. All acting healthy, and for the most part the droppings are the round, brown, white-capped birdy poops you'd expect, but I'm seeing some dodgy poos too and would very much appreciate community opinion.
I don't know what order the photos will upload in, but you'll see a rather long,squiggly poo with a red component. Upon investigating it with a stick, I discovered it was very stringy and gelatinous. What should I make of that?
I'm also including a picture of a poo with a pink tint.
Yesterday I observed the tiniest bird produce homogenously rust -red, soft poo. Can't say if these are from the same bird or not.
Any ideas diagnosing this strange dropping would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20230501_091226601.jpg
    IMG_20230501_091226601.jpg
    778.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20230501_091740608.jpg
    IMG_20230501_091740608.jpg
    650.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230501_091834923.jpg
    IMG_20230501_091834923.jpg
    532.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230501_091614680.jpg
    IMG_20230501_091614680.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 14
It's intestinal shedding.
See if it clears up in a day or so, but it won't hurt to start them on Corid, especially since they are new to you.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

It's intestinal shedding.
See if it clears up in a day or so, but it won't hurt to start them on Corid, especially since they are new to you.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course
Got it! I suspected this. I have never seen intestinal shedding - is this normal? How often might quail do this?
But assuming it might be cocci, I can start corid tonight.
Thank you so much!

I'm glad I did start Corid yesterday afternoon - today there are a few birds giving me that very yellow, foamy poo we hate to see, in addition to more examples of what was identified as possible intestinal shedding. I think they all came to me with cocci (hopefully not anything worse).
In your experience, was Corid generally successful in restoring young birds to health? Can I be hopeful? If I don't see improvement in a few days, what would be my next steps? Having lost several birds in the past to various diarrhea ailments, I'm quite worried now, and highly annoyed that the seller was unaware and now I've got a bunch of sick brand new birds on my hands.

I'm glad I did start Corid yesterday afternoon - today there are a few birds giving me that very yellow, foamy poo we hate to see, in addition to more examples of what was identified as possible intestinal shedding. I think they all came to me with cocci (hopefully not anything worse).
In your experience, was Corid generally successful in restoring young birds to health? Can I be hopeful? If I don't see improvement in a few days, what would be my next steps? Having lost several birds in the past to various diarrhea ailments, I'm quite worried now, and highly annoyed that the seller was unaware and now I've got a bunch of sick brand new birds on my hands.
For me, Corid has worked well for Coccidiosis.
Quail can be a bit more sensitive and develop Enteritis. I have not dealt with Enteritis in mine (thankfully), but it would be a good idea to have an antibiotic on hand.
I believe you could use Tetracyclines, but let me tag in @007Sean to be sure.

Keep water and feed stations cleaned well and keep bedding clean and dry. With Quail that's a job, they dabble in water and poop. A. Lot. 😝

You are correct @Wyorp Rock , Tetracycline, Oxytetracycline, Duramycin are the preferred medications for treating UE. Duramycin is the only one right now that doesn't require a script from a vet....it will change in June with new drug laws being passed by the FDA.
IF your able to find it at local feed store, buy it, otherwise you'll have to visit a vet.
You will need to do this immediately, as UE is highly contagious and can spread through a flock of quail, like a wildfire!

I purchased 6 coturnix hens yesterday from a (NPIP) breeder I haven't used before, all between 3-6 weeks of age. All acting healthy, and for the most part the droppings are the round, brown, white-capped birdy poops you'd expect, but I'm seeing some dodgy poos too and would very much appreciate community opinion.
I don't know what order the photos will upload in, but you'll see a rather long,squiggly poo with a red component. Upon investigating it with a stick, I discovered it was very stringy and gelatinous. What should I make of that?
I'm also including a picture of a poo with a pink tint.
Yesterday I observed the tiniest bird produce homogenously rust -red, soft poo. Can't say if these are from the same bird or not.
Any ideas diagnosing this strange dropping would be appreciated!
That really doesn't look like intestinal shedding, to me? Looks too red...more like blood, than tissue.
How is the bird behaving?...fluffed up appearance, lethargic, droopy head and wings, closing it's eyes and has it lost weight?
If it has UE , Ulcerative Enteritus, it's feces will be watery and yellowish in color with white streeks of urates.

Coturnix use to not be susceptible to UE, like the new world quail are but in recent years it has become more prevalent in the Japanese quail.

That really doesn't look like intestinal shedding, to me? Looks too red...more like blood, than tissue.
How is the bird behaving?...fluffed up appearance, lethargic, droopy head and wings, closing it's eyes and has it lost weight?
If it has UE , Ulcerative Enteritus, it's feces will be watery and yellowish in color with white streeks of urates.

Coturnix use to not be susceptible to UE, like the new world quail are but in recent years it has become more prevalent in the Japanese quail.
Hi! Sorry, just seeing that you made this reply. The birds are all acting perfectly well, thankfully. The little ones growing quickly, plenty of eating, drinking, bathing, and all those delightful birdy things. My one older bird continues to lay every day. They're the happiest bunch I've had. Besides the off poops, you'd never imagine they were ill.
That being said, I know things can turn quickly. 2-3 of them continue to have orange or yellow foamy poos sometimes (they'll have 2 in a row that are light and foamy, and then another that's formed and brown. It's weird). There aren't any more bloody ones. I am just wrapping up a full week of Corid today. Now the question becomes: was it cocci, or enteritis? If it were cocci, should it have resolved completely after a week of treatment? Or should someone have behavioral symptoms by now? If we're leaning toward UE, as far as the tetracyclines go, I have powdered erythromycin on hand which was for aquarium dosage. Could I use that? I'll take a look at the milligrams; do you know what the appropriate dosage would be for adding to their drinking water?

IMG_20230508_090707787.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20230508_090718723.jpg
    IMG_20230508_090718723.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20230508_090847221.jpg
    IMG_20230508_090847221.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom