Poop around their buts?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lisebarb, Jun 19, 2010.

1. lisebarb

lisebarb Songster

Good morning!
    I've noticed that 2 of my chicks have some poop on their buts. I checked and their vents are not obstructed but the poop is just stuck to the fluff under their vents. (Kind of like when a kid doesn't wipe himself properly - grin) Should I be concerned about this?
    Thanks.

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Yes you should... That is pasty butt... You need to get a warm cloth and loosen and remove any fecal matter from baby chicks.. It is an indication that they may be dehydrated so make sure they are having access to water at all times and if the pasty is left... More will accumulate and they won't be able to deficate properly and can die... So yep... good call... Remove pasty butt!! [​IMG]

3. lisebarb

lisebarb Songster

Quote:Thanks! I just wiped their bums and will keep an eye on them. They do have water all the time and I've stuck their beaks in the water so they know where it is. I've also seen each of them drink so I don't know how they could be dehydrated. [​IMG]

4. jjparke

jjparke Songster

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    I only get this when I have barred rock chics. Those are the only chics I have had to clean up. After I clean mine I usually take a qtip and swab their vents with olive oil. That seems to help.

5. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Even if the cloaca isn't blocked when you check, I agree with the other poster about cleaning off the poo nearby. The next dropping could stick to the other droppings and clog up the hole, and you may not notice this until too late. Pasty butt can develop very quickly (over night even) and can be very serious for the chick.

6. lisebarb

lisebarb Songster

Quote:Interesting... my chicks are barred rocks. Will try the olive oil around their vents too.
    Thanks for the tip! [​IMG]

7. LadyBeartoothMamma

LadyBeartoothMamma Chirping

May 31, 2010
    Absarokee Montana
    aww yes pasty butt.. so fun I have five babies and have to check them almost everyday its fun huh lol but it needs to be done

8. Coat their butts with vaseline and the poop won't stick as much. Every now and then I'll have one chicks that has it for a week or more. I just have to keep it's butt clear everyday until it stops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by