Poop board, bedding or no bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by erinc89, Oct 12, 2016.

1. erinc89

erinc89 New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    So I'm new to having chickens, about a week or so. Iv done a tun of research and bought a coop and chickens....one question I can't find an answer to, do i add bedding to the poop tray? Or just leave it as it is? My chickens don't seem to care and i clean it every day, but it's going to start getting cold....so any suggestions would be very appriciated. Thanks! :)
    Also I have a small coop made for 6 from tractor supply..just to give you an idea. Oh and use pine shavings in the nesting boxes.

2. Emmsykate

Emmsykate New Egg

Oct 3, 2016
    North NSW, Australia
    I add hay to the tray and each day I just scoop the poop off the top of the hay and its clean as a whistle. Once a week I replace the hay with fresh and clean the tray. I like this method as it only takes me a few minutes as opposed to taking the tray out and cleaning it each day. I think ultimately as long as you keep the coop clean it doesn't matter. Try both ways perhaps and see which is easier for you and which your chickens prefer.
    Good luck. Glad u have joined the chicken family, I hope ur chickies give you as much pleasure as mine give me

1 person likes this.
  3. erinc89

erinc89 New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    Okay, I went ahead and tried putting a few shavings on the board. To soon to tell, but going to go ahead and see what the best option is. Might go ahead and buy some hay and see if cleanup is more effective that way too. Thanks for the feed back :) appreciate it!

4. Cacique500

Cacique500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2013
    Atlanta, Georgia
    You might also want to do a search for Sweet PDZ. It's like a granular "kitty litter" that absorbs the moisture and dries out the poop. I've got it 100% in my coop and run and it allows me to scoop the poop out each day in about 5 minutes. First pic is the run (set up for a new batch of chicks...netting and supports are now down) and the second pic is the roost/poop basin. You can find it at tractor supply and make sure you get the GRANULAR, not the powdered version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. erinc89

erinc89 New Egg

Oct 11, 2016
    Oh wow, okay I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by