Poop board construction

CuriousQueen

Songster
Jan 14, 2018
Kansas City, Missouri
I’m wanting to build a poop board for my small coop. It is 6x6 foot
I have Barred Holland’s. From what I’ve read they are not one of the larger sized chickens.
The max width I can do without it being awkward is 14” wide. That is 7 inches on each side of the roost.
That isn’t much room from the wall though. Perhaps I should off set the roost. Such as 8inches...
it may just have to be awkward?
What is the minimum size poop board you would do?
I’m making it 65 inches long. I have 5 chickens.

I think a poop board of 18" would be close to ideal. My poop boards are 24" wide and work very well. What I like best about my boards it they are only 3½" from the bottom of my removable roost (which make cleaning so much easier) are also 2x4 wide side up. This short distance from roost to board allows eggs that are laid through the night to remain in tact.

Last edited:
24" with roost centered and 8" above board works perfectly here, no overshoots.
And I can clean under it easily.
Roost really should be at least 12" from wall, 10" might work for smaller hens.
18" board might work for you, keep roost lower to board tho.
How do you plan on cleaning board?

Stuff I've learned over the past 5 years:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...s-poop-pictures.621363/page-178#post-18966048

Our poop boards are 15" wide and they are good for us. We also have them positioned to the rear as when they were centered to birds would poop and some would miss the board. Very rarely do we have a chicken roosting "backwards" but occasionally a bird will roost on the poop board! One suggestion is to cover the wooden poop board with something like linoleum or other material that makes it easy to scrape the poop. Once per week we wash the poop boards with apple cider vinegar and water. All in all, quite pleased with our results. This picture was before we put down sand which also has worked out very well with us. I also replaced these poop boards with ones made out of 1/4" plywood which were more rigid. Good luck.
IMG_0991.JPG

2C7FF09B-A96B-4054-85BF-C4174821CC9C.jpeg I’m going to be using pdz, maybe mixed with sand.
My problem is my coop is pre made and came with best boxes. It is made my mennonites and those nest boxes aren’t going to come out. They are won’t budge. The little roosts already in there won’t be moving anytime soon either.
I want to put the poop board on top of those nest boxes but my entry door is there too. I made one today. When I put it in, I’m just going to attach with some screws and brackets so if it doesn’t work I can take it out easy.

How wide is your entry door?
How far from wall the edge of door?
How big is coop?
Wider view pics inside and out would help.
There is a solution.

View attachment 1441784 I’m going to be using pdz, maybe mixed with sand.
My problem is my coop is pre made and came with best boxes. It is made my mennonites and those nest boxes aren’t going to come out. They are won’t budge. The little roosts already in there won’t be moving anytime soon either.
I want to put the poop board on top of those nest boxes but my entry door is there too. I made one today. When I put it in, I’m just going to attach with some screws and brackets so if it doesn’t work I can take it out easy.
I know this thread is almost 3 years old and the poster is finished with coop by now :), but I wanted to ask/suggest that if you can access the eggs from the outside, could you not put the board over the nest boxes, and the roost over that? I'd make them both removeable, in case you need to access the boxes from the inside, but that seems like it would work...

Back
Top Bottom