1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Poop board convert *warning-graphic/gross poop pictures*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Thespoiledchicken, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Ok, so my first coop was done without poop boards-I simply loaded up the floor with sand figuring that would be easy enough to sift the poop out of. Well, the plan sounded good in theory but I found it didn't work so good in reality. Don't get me wrong, the poop scoops out of the sand BUT- the sand SMELLS even after the poop is gone. Also, it is a dusty mess while scooping and I need to take frequent breaks just to breath fresh air. Still better though than changing out shavings weekly (I don't like DLM).

So when we built our 2nd coop we decided to try poop boards [​IMG] WOW, what a difference. We built a waist high shelf and then added a lip all around and filled it with Sweet PDZ, LOVE IT!!!! I simply sift the poop up every day or two but you certainly can leave it longer if you had to. The Sweet PDZ keeps it from smelling at all. And the best part- NO DUST when scooping. It's almost like sifting flour. It is very zen like to clean and I tend to get carried away and make designs for my girls ( I know, I have issues [​IMG])

Anyway, thought I would share my experience and of course some pics [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Great looking coop! I am surprised with the no dust...looks like I have some more "upgrading" to do to my coops come spring!

2 people like this.
  3. mamabigbird

mamabigbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Vancouver Island, B.C.,
    Looks so good. Hmmmm. Might need to rethink my coop too. I don't like DLM either and end up doing a clean out every two weeks. I've got a mountain of used bedding now.
    I didn't like the idea of a bare poop board (smelly messy yuck) but with the lip and PDZ .... I'm all for that! Thanks for sharing a great solution.

1 person likes this.
  4. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Love the barrel roof! What is Sweet PDZ?

3 people like this.
  5. Thespoiledchicken

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Thanks guys [​IMG]

Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher- it absorbs moisture and smell. I forget exactly what it is made of but it is completely safe for chickens- I think it is made from a mineral maybe? Works GREAT for chicken poop. When my girls are getting on the perches at night they kick a little on to the floor and freshen up the shavings too.

Here is the outside of the coop (can't take credit for the design, it is a Amish kit we brought)

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I got to know where you got that shed kit from. I am in love! They are so quaint and cute!

7. KeepsPeeps

KeepsPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2011
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Is what you do to clean up the area similar to sifting cat poop out of a litter box? Just scoop, shake, toss? Seems so low maintenance and lovely!

8. Thespoiledchicken

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Thanks I love it too [​IMG]

It is made by The Little Cottage Company in Ohio (Amish made). Go to cottagekits.com and look for the round roof chicken coop kit.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    6 people like this.
  9. Thespoiledchicken

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    YES! I made the shelf at waist height so no bending to clean. I simply scoop, shake and throw it away. The PDZ absorbs the odor so it does not smell, even after several days! I try to do it every 2-3 days max so I keep the moisture down in the coop since I have alot of chickens [​IMG]

10. KFaye

KFaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    Wow I love that idea! will get some sweet pdz then redesigne a few things right away! Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by