Poop Board or no Poop Board

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hopefulloflove, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Ok, we are just finishing up the inside of the coop and trying to determine the layout etc. I am getting ready to build the roosts, but can't make up my mind wether to have a poop board or not. I am planning to use sand in the coop and scoop it, so do I need a poop board? Does it really make life easier?? Please help and I'd love to see any pictures anyone has of thiers...

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I have to say this post is perfect timing for me. The last time I read a Poop Board Thread I had chickens 3 weeks old. Last week I fitted a poop board 36" X 18" under both night perches and holly smokes its easy... [​IMG] Hand scooping sucks with a kitty litter shovel , so I like easy.

Steve

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you're using sand, I would definitely use a poop board. I do not right now and I HATE scooping poop from the sand. It's so dusty I have to run in and have a shower immediately after. [​IMG] We are switching to deep litter so we are going to skip the poop board at first, but if I decide to try it I'll just put it on the floor below them and see how we like it.

4. swatchick

swatchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    I am using a poop hammock, which is just an old lacy curtain I attach with hooks under the roosts, and I love it. I can just unhook it, dump the poop into my special chicken poop composting tub, spray it out with the hose (and I hang it in the sun if there is any during the day) and hang it back up. I got the idea.......ready for it.................here at the BYC forum [​IMG]

5. OneTenthAcreAndAChicken

OneTenthAcreAndAChicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    San Diego
    I use pine shavings and a poop board. The hatch I will use to collect the eggs (eventually, 21 weeks and counting and waiting) is wide enough that I can scrape off the board too. It definitely keeps the inside of my small coop less fragrant... and I can make daily additions to the compost pile. [​IMG]

I think my board is not quite wide enough - kinda depends on if they all end up facing the same way on the roost... But it's good enough.

6. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    I think poop boards make clean up much easier!!

7. AngelaClassAct

AngelaClassAct Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2011
    Poop board! If I could post a pic of what the floor of my coop looks like under their roost just 2 days after cleaning it you'd vote poop board all the way! I just have to build and install them!

8. CluckCluck2

CluckCluck2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Morris, Illinois
    Anyone have a picture of their poop boards?

9. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Yes I would love to see pictures also..I am ready to build one, but I am not sure how to go about it!

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    The POOP BOARD does not have to be fancy or pretty. It can be made of wood, plastic, cardboard, metal and I am using plexiglass bc I had a piece laying around that would fit. 18" X 30"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Good luck

Steve

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by