Poop board pix??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pawsplus, Jun 15, 2011.

1. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    I'm debating adding poop boards to my hen house. It was a hunting blind in its former life and is VERY tall and skinny. The roosts are structural 2x4s and they reach them via a ladder I made. All 3 chickens normally spend the night on the high perches. Photos below.

I've been thinking of adding poop boards to keep the floor cleaner. I use Equine Pine pellets and w/ only 3 chickens it takes a while to get nasty, but eventually it does.

The high perches are 7-8 feet up in the air, and they are right there in the middle of things. Obviously poop boards will be completely in my way, LOL, but I can duck around them. I'm just not sure how to put them up or what they should look like/ be made of. Do you put bedding on them? How do you clean them w/out just dumping all the poop off onto the ground (in which case, what's the point of the poop boards?)? How do you keep the chickens from using the poop boards as roosts?

Can anyone provide guidance? Thanks!

View of upper roosts from doorway:

[​IMG]

Ladder that chickens use to reach upper roosts. They get pooped on a LOT.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Can you remove the really high roosts and bring them down to a more easily accessable (by you) height?? With only three birds, you could just do one roost about 10-12 inches off the back wall. It'd be a lot easier to do a dropping board (and to scrape a dropping board). You generally want your dropping board about 8 inches below your roost(s). If they're too far below the roost, the chickens tend to walk on them, just like a shelf or something. But generally your birds will always want the highest point for roosting, so they'll probably still opt for the roost.

[​IMG]

3. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    Again, those are structural elements of the building--they cannot be moved. I wouldn't move them anyway--they LOVE being up that high!

I think I can put one board under both roosts. I guess I would put bedding on there and just sweep it off w/ a dustpan and brush when cleaning it? Maybe I could cover the board w/ vinyl flooring . . .

The one problem is accessing the roosts if I have to do so--that will be hard w/ the board in the way. BUT the only reason I would need to do that would be if someone were sick, and when that's the case they don't go up into the hgih roosts (that's how I know somethings's wrong), so I guess that isn't really an issue.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by