poop board question

florida lee

Songster
8 Years
Apr 6, 2011
Morriston,fl
Instead of a "board" in my tractor I am using a metal oil drip pan...its about 24" x 45". it sits on the coop floor under one of the roosts. But all the pictures I see ,the board is just under the roost. guess i could suspend it with chain under the roost. ----oh yea, chicks are too small for the tractor yet so I have time to refine it.
Also what is a good width for the poop board, my "pan" will need to be cut down ( it will be easy to clean,hose right off). Would 6" on either side of the roost be enough ? then will I need a pre roost to they can make the hop up and over the board to the roost?

,, I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Quote:
The deal is sort of twofold. FIrst, the closer to the roost the poo board is, the more poo it will catch for whatever width board it is. Second, if it is sitting down on the floor then it either takes away floorspace from the chickens or makes them stomp around on the board and mash the poo down. If there is room to mount it maybe 6-12" below the roost, personally I think that is optimal. OTOH it is not rocket science and if your setup would not suit that, there are definitely other ways to do it that would also work
smile.png

what is a good width for the poop board, my "pan" will need to be cut down ( it will be easy to clean,hose right off). Would 6" on either side of the roost be enough ?

My droppings boards are 16" wide and catch most of the poo (but not quite all). A 12" wide board would miss a nontrivial amount, but OTOH it would also CATCH a nontrivial amount so still be worthwhile.

I don't think I have any useful advice to give on the hanging-it-from-chain part. That's an interesting idea, it would probalby keep chickens from landing and walking on the board (and its poo), but as you say they would at least have to learn not to try to land on it, and a ladder or something might be required in some setups. I don't know. If you want to hang it from chain, experiment, see what ends up working best, then come back and tell me b/c I'm curious now
tongue.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

Back
Top Bottom