Poop board - score!!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jenesis536, Mar 10, 2011.

1. jenesis536

jenesis536 Songster

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    We are building a 2nd coop and I was looking around for ideas to cover the poop board with. I heard that boot trays work well, but I couldn't find them locally and they seemed pricey online especially considering shipping. I was finding them for about $15-18 each.

I had to go to the Dollar Tree today to get some stuff for my daughter's bday party, and they had a whole bunch there for $1 each!! They are 13x22 so I will have to put them side by side, but it'll work for what I need! It might even be easier than taking a big one in and out to dump off and clean up.

They also had good size bins to use for next boxes - $1 each.

Woo hooooo!

2. photo chick

photo chick Songster

May 4, 2009
    Essex, VT
    Great idea! We have tons of those around here. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks!

3. Rose66

Rose66 Songster

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    What is a boot tray?

4. wannabchick

wannabchick Songster

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    [​IMG]

Headed to tomorrow to dollar tree

Xoxoxo

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

6. ChixPix

ChixPix In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    I just noticed boot trays at walmart a couple days ago for $4.97 each. They were pretty large too.

7. elmo

elmo Crowing

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Nice find! I love boot trays, and you're right about the smaller ones. I think I might replace the one large one I use with two smaller ones. As I was carrying the large one out the coop door one day, it bumped on the door frame and I nearly spilled all the contents all over myself (blech). I never have that problem with the small ones, and I can carry out two at a time, stacked on top of each other.

8. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chirping

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    I bought a 10ft roll of 20inch flashing at the Depot, and attached it to two rails, cupped it, covered it with chicken wire, and slanted it down from under the top of the roost and it exits into a 5gallon bucket. It takes about 10 seconds to hose it off every morning. Am I a genius or what?[​IMG]
    (the reason I covered it with chicken wire is one of the small chicks decided to use it as a slide, and almost ended up in the poop water bucket! oops)

9. cptbahama

cptbahama Songster

Jan 13, 2011
    augusta, georgia
    I have some extra linoleum from flooring the henhouse. I was going to use that to cover a couple poop boards. Is there any reason why that shouldn't work?

10. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:I think that's a great idea. I just built a small coop and you reminded me that I have some leftover flooring in the garage! Thanks! I'm covering that poop board with the linoleum. My main coop has just a piece of painted plywood and it works great, but the flooring will be much better. Nothing... sticking [​IMG] ... to the board that has to be levered off.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: