Poop board with or without lip?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rjackh, Dec 26, 2014.

1. rjackh

rjackh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    Do you guys prefer a poop board with a lip to hold sand, sweet pdz, etc. and filter clean it like a cat little box? Or do you prefer just a flat board that you can scrape clean with a putty knife?

2. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Ours is bordered by 1x4's and filled with Stable-Dri. In the months that we've had it I'm still using the Stable-Dri that I bought the first time. Cleaning is a breeze with a kitty litter scoop and a bucket for the droppings. I literally takes me less than five minutes once a week to clean up after our chickens. It's so easy I can't believe that everyone isn't using them. We throw the droppings into a compost bin along with all of our kitchen scraps to use for planting in the spring.

RichnSteph

3. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC
    We don't use a poop board at all. The floor of our coop is covered in vinyl upon which we've loaded a mixture of sand and PDZ. Clean up is a breeze with a telescoping rake and a kitty litter scoop. We do have 2x2's at the pop door and coop door to keep the mixture from being kicked out.

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I guess it all depends on how many chickens you have. If i tried to use a kitty litter scoop it would have to be done daily and would take me a while. I prefer the poop board without a lip on the front and I scoop it right off.

5. rjackh

rjackh Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Central Texas
    Is the sweet pdz/sand mixture really that good? What's the litter look like under the roost? I was hoping to clean the coop maybe 1 or 2 times a week. I figured a poop board was a sure way to do this.

6. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
  7. JacobMaxwell

JacobMaxwell Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    I have some removable poop boards without a lip. I find it's pretty easy to scrape the poop into a bucket each morning.

[​IMG]

The boards are removable with hook arrangement.

[​IMG]

8. WNCcluck

WNCcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2014
    Mountains of WNC

It's better than that good! The PDZ is a dessicant, so it tends to clump the poop into little poop pellets. It also keeps the sand from clumping. We have eight girls in our 8x6 coop and can clean the coop in a snap.

9. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    That's a fancy little design. I like it.

10. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    I use poop trays built in under all my roosts. The best thing about using the PDZ as a scoopable litter is that it is a natural mineral Zoelyte that absorbes ammonia...which is the ingredient that creates the smell in chicken coops. Below you can see my roosts and poop trays. The roosts are aprox. 5" above the poop tray. I scoop the poop into a bucket daily it takes 5 minutes for my 8'x8 coop. My coop has no ammonia smell. :D. :ya

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by