1. AshleyeC

AshleyeC New Egg

Aug 21, 2016
    We just finished our chicken coop this past weekend and for a poop board we decided to lay wood board underneath the perch and that we would just clean them off, but it was the hardest thing ever to clean. Does anyone have any other ideas for an easier to clean poop board? Our perch is like a ladder if that helps. Thanks!

2. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Our poop board is wood, which I painted with outdoor paint. I spread PDZ on it too and that absorbs the dampness of their poop, drying it out. Then I just use a putty knife to scrape it into a little plastic bucket.

I just hammered some holes into a glass jar lid and sprinkle it on the poop board. Works great for me, and a bag of PDZ lasts quite a while here.

When you buy PDZ, get the one that is like a sand texture, not a powder. That way you and the chickens don't "breathe" it in.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    PDZ makes cleaning the poop board so easy. The PDZ on our poop board is about 1" deep, it acts much like cat litter, it clumps the poo and absorbs moisture and odor. I use a mesh paper tray (with a wide putty knife to help push it into the tray) to sift.

4. ABchickenguy

ABchickenguy Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Lacombe Alberta
    I just made a tray that sits under the roost and fill it with "Stall Fresh" which is similar to fine cat litter. In the mornings I just use a cat litter scoop to pick out the dried poop. Takes about a minute to do. Mind you my roost is only 8 feet long.

5. ABchickenguy

ABchickenguy Just Hatched

Aug 25, 2016
    Lacombe Alberta
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture.

6. JRawls

JRawls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2016
    So. Illinois
    Ours is made from treated plywood. I didn't paint it or anything. We use pine pet bedding and it is very easy to clean. We have the treated pine on the floor of the coop also but have vinyl floor covering over it and was going to use the vinyl floor covering over the the wood on the poop board also but we just didn't get it done. We may go ahead and do that sometime.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by