Poop Board?

cochicks

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Colorado Springs
We just finished build our new chicken coop. We modified the Garden Coop plan to double the size of the hen house. I was wondering if you guys could post pictures of your poop board set up. I would like to add one, but I'm not sure what it should look like? Should it be flat or angled? How big does it need to be? ect. Any help is appreciated!

Basically, it's something to catch the droppings from roosting chickens to make it easier to remove. Different people use different approaches. Some use a board and just scrape the accumulated droppings into a bucket once in a while.

I use plastic boot trays held on shelf supports under the roosts. Every morning, I lift the trays out (they're light because they're plastic), take them over to my composter and dump out the contents. I use an old trowel to scrape off any wet droppings. Then I hose down the trays, shake off the excess water, and replace in the coop all nice and clean for the next night.

I use two plastic trays designed for flower pots. They are 7 inches wide by 36 inches long. I also used chicken wire under the roost to keep the birds from walking in the droppings. All I do to clean is remove the trays, scrape in a bucket and replace.

The large, side clean out door helps in accessing the trays and my neighbor thanks me for the droppings left in his compost bin.

Saw your post last night, went and snapped photos while moving the coop before we put the shavings in. Our poop board is about two feet wide and six feet long, big enough for the entire roost. It has a plastic carpet runner to lay in there to make clean up easier and the shavings can be scooped out of the poop board and put into a bucket or wheelbarrow to remove them.

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4970.jpg

I have a poop tray filled with Stall-Dri and/or Sweet PDZ, which act as a dessicant and dries the poop out very quickly. I then use a cat litter scoop and scoop out the droppings into a 2 gallon bucket (which I have hanging in the coop on a hook), those get dumped into my compost bin. I do this once a week. The only issue I have had is that if I wait too long, the poop piles on top of each other (same hens roosting in the same place) and one large mass of poop can freeze together making it impossible to scoop until we get temps above freezing.
Scooping every 5 days works very well for me, plus I have lots of ventilation to facilitate the poop drying.

I have pictures on my BYC page.

Back
Top Bottom