1. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    So is there a rule to how far under the roost it needs to be? Also how far does it need to stick out from the roost? I know most chicken poop does not just fall directly down [​IMG]

I am just finishing my coop but do not have alot of room but would love to have a poop board if I can.

TIA [​IMG]

2. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    make sure it's far enough down that it's easy to get your tool in to brush it all off. Mine is a little to close to the roost, I may end up raising it a couple of inches.

3. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2009
    Mine is twelve inches below the roost and twelve inches away from the wall. the poop board itself being two feet wide with the roost set dead center. With a little imagination you can build the roost to lift off of the poop board which makes cleaning much easier. also try to find the plastic carpet runner to put on your poop board. You can take it out and hose it off and put it back in and it makes cleaning SOOO much easier!!! Here is ours just after painting.. It makes life alot easier, and I have room for two hanging waterers and two nest boxes under it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look where the roost meets the wall you will see where it drops down into the 'box' we made. The entire roost lifts out for cleaning.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Think about a removable tray(s) to help clean up. As to how wide to make it, watch your birds. what is the distance from the feet to the "exit"? how far does it fly when they let loose? Add that up and pad it a inch or two and you have your answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by