Poop board ?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by reksat, Jul 10, 2011.

1. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    My roosts are at 30" and 44"respectivly in a ladder configuration. My question is this : How far below the roost should this be located and should it be under both or just the lowest one ? Any advice will be very appreciated. Thanks

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    I would just make it a convenient height for cleaning it and getting under it to clean. I would think you'd want it under both roosts.

3. jalexartis

jalexartis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    Under both. Sand works best [to catch their poop] for me. --jim

4. fishin-nole

fishin-nole Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    I use a plastic cement mixing tub under mine. Easy to pull out and dump in the compost heap.

5. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    Quote:I put mine at 1ft under the perch, and it has worked great, very easy to scrape in the morning right into the bucket then to the compost.
    [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you can go deep enough, you could do a single dropping board. Mine are staggered, but only about a foot difference in height (have been raised since this pic). Do what works for you for easy managment - whether you go with one or two...
    [​IMG]

7. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    I went high for roost, approx. 6', with poop trays about 8" below. Need to move my roost out some more to discourage the girls from wanting to get on lip(edge) of trays. But it works great using the old cafateria trays...they are light, easy to scrape into a tote for removal to compost bin. Need to also build another n , alittle lower for smaller girls and older ones.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:I'm not sure why - but the cafeteria trays made me laugh [​IMG] Your set-up appears very space conscious. [​IMG]

9. reksat

reksat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    western,MD
    Thanks everyone for the replies. Answers my ?'s

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by