Poop boards. Removeable?

Volvo Farmer

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
Got the new perches up at about 3 feet and 5-week old chicks have decided that they prefer the perch to the floor huddle
smile.png
So I found some particle board shelving laying around. We were going to paint it and attach it to the wall under the perches with shelf brackets. I have 16 lineal foot of perch for 16 birds, though they are only using about 6 feet of it at this age.

Anyway. How important is it to make the poop boards removable? I don't think the boards will lay on the shelf brackets too well unless we screw them down. Any ideas on how to make a removeable poop board with particle board and shelf brackets?

Thanks!

perches.jpg

poopboard.jpg

I am also a big fan of plastic boot trays as poop collectors. They're light enough so that it's very easy to take them over to the composter and dump/scrape out the contents. A quick hose down and they're clean as new to go back into the coop.

The only sorta tricky thing is to match the width of your shelves/roost to the width of the boot trays.

Mine is removable, but it's kinda small. I mostly just scrape it clean and leave it in place. I do like to take mine out and hose it clean every so often to get all the poop off. I don't think it's necessary to remove it. Just a personal choice.
wink.png

I used metal "L" shaped closet shelf brackets in my coop to support the end of their ramp (from coop to run) and for their interior run roost. They would work great for supporting a long poop board such as yours, and are relatively inexpensive. (My poop board is so short (3') it doesn't need a center support and is just supported on the ends.)

A lot of great ideas here! Thanks a lot for the responses. I think we'll paint them and leave them for now, then keep a lookout for cheap trays as time goes by.

Quote:
Great idea. Being that they are going to poop on it anyway, there is no reason that it needs to be a new product.

Back
Top Bottom