1. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I've read on here that you can put poop boards under the roosts.

But i'm not sure how far below the roosts to put them or how wide they should be.

I've also read you can hang empty feed bags under there to catch the poo also.. but my feed bags are made from paper.

I was wondering if someone could give me some ideas on this and if anyone had pictures of how they do it.

Any input on this would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kari Sue [​IMG]

2. charlotteda

charlotteda Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    Pickens SC
    Me too ! I would love to see pics and designs in one thread from those who use roosts and poop boards.

3. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    That is a very good question. thanks for posting it hopefully you will get good questions.

4. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Just type in drop boards in the search section, lower right hand part of the home page. Great info.

I made my drop boards after reading them. I used 2 feet wide shelving boards with melamine type surface and play sand on the boards. Then every morning I sift the sand with a kitty litter scoop. So far I am very well pleased with this set up.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  5. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    Come on everyone wake up and respond we are waiting [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ChicksR4Me

ChicksR4Me Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Quote:diddo

7. RIVERA69R

RIVERA69R Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    VENICE FL
    I think what i might do is get plywood maybe about 2ft wide and the length of the roost and use maybe shelving brackets to mount it on directly under the roost and use a piece of 1x1 wood all the way around the edges of the plywood to make a lip thenyou can just scoop it out as it gets full whatcha think! [​IMG]

8. agirly4chicks

agirly4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Hamilton, Georgia USA
    Sounds good to me. Any other suggestions?

9. new2chix

new2chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    New Palestine Indiana
    We use the real shallow rubbermaid storage boxes - they are about 2 x 4, and we place them on a shelf which is about 12" under the roost. They are much lighter than wood, still sturdy, easy to clean / bleach, and the lids can also be used, though they aren't as sturdy and don't have sides. I think we got them on sale for about $5 each.

10. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    My coop has a drop board 8" under my roost, two feet wide and the entire lenght of the roost. I will place a thin layer of shavings on it and rake it off every morning. I did this so that I could have more clean floor space. My coop is 7x10 and I want the girls to feel as comfy as they can be..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by