1. trophyschick

trophyschick New Egg

Oct 4, 2011
    I'm designing a coop and have heard about putting poop boards under the roosts but can't find any in plans. Where do you put them as in how far below and back from the roosts. And do you put them on each side of the roost? Thanks.

2. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Quote:My board runs the total length of the roost, about 5 inches under, and 10 inches wider. lined with newspaper, and on batons so I slide it out like a drawer for easy cleaning.

3. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    this sounds like a great idea. I am still working on our new coop. we have a large area we are using for the nesting and night roosting area. I never heard of a poop bord but love the idea. I could pull them out and wash them into flower beds in the winter and such and then into compost areas in summer. I am also looking for some ideas for some nesting boxes. I got some at a feed store that were on clearance and now I am wishing that I had not. it was 50.00 for 4 nest boxes. they stack on the floor and are really good sized meant to be used for turkeys and duks but I should not of spent the funds for it. does anyone have a good idea for a cheap safe and easy to clean stack of say 20 nesting area's...

4. Chickangel79

Chickangel79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    United Kingdom Suffolk
    Quote:My.poop board saves my bad back lots of strain.
    As for the nesting boxes could you reclaim a set of deep shelves and slot dividers in them and then run a front board along the front , (and leave a centimeter gap to let water/poop out, when you wash them down )to stop them either falling out or scraping the bedding out ?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  5. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, In my humble opinion poop boards, trays, hammocks, etc... are the only way to go. When chickens are in for the night, they do two things. Sleep and poop, so if you can collect it in a concentrated area for easy cleaning.....why not. Rather than letting them poop on the floor below the roosts, thenhave to scoop it later is..to me.. ridiculous. It is so much easier to scrape at waist level than bend over and scoop poop. Some here will disagree, and thats cool....if ya got the time to scoop poop every day, then ya don't need a collection method like poop boards. I don't....so I went with a poop try "set up''. Love it....works great and it is a once a week, 10 minute chore to clean and scrap into a tote for the garden. If ya wanna see what I came up with, check out my page. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

[​IMG] Here is pic of our origina single roost and tray set up. Since this pic have doubled it.

As far as distance, width, etc.....Just think about how big your girls are. I would say that you can't go wrong with roost about 10'' -12" from wall and poop trays sized accordingly if they are facing front or back. Maybe 18". any distance below the roost will work. Just leave room for scraping. Well, good luck.
    erik

6. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] THESE ARE MY POOP BOARDS,ONE UNDER EACH ROOST,AND IT HAS SWEET PDZ IN IT AND I USE A KITTY SCOOP TO CLEAN OUT THE POOP EVERYDAY.I USE SAND NOW AS IT A LOT CHEAPER AND WORKS JUST AS GOOD.THEY SURE POOP A LOT WHILE THEY ARE SLEEPING.

7. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] THESE ARE THE HRED HELP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by