Poop butt!

May 5, 2021
Connecticut
Hello! Lets talk poop causeee its stuck to my chickens fluffy feathers and i want to clean it. Any pro tips? Warm water and a cloth i imagine, but i dont want to attempt anything that may be harmful. Maybe do nothing?? Thanks 🐓❤️

Chicken poppy

Crowing
May 9, 2021
Connecticut
Hello! Lets talk poop causeee its stuck to my chickens fluffy feathers and i want to clean it. Any pro tips? Warm water and a cloth i imagine, but i dont want to attempt anything that may be harmful. Maybe do nothing?? Thanks 🐓❤️
So is it a baby or adult and a picture would be nice! If its a baby, you go about a bit of a different method with it, ive cleaned both off chickens so i could give advice (and definitely do something, it will get worse if you do nothing) :)

6BeachChicks

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄
Premium Feather Member
Aug 30, 2021
If its a grown up, I put it in my sink, or a bucket with warm, not hot water. and then I gently work the poop off of the fluff. If it’s cold, I blow dry them,

Chicken poppy

Crowing
May 9, 2021
Connecticut
If its a grown up, I put it in my sink, or a bucket with warm, not hot water. and then I gently work the poop off of the fluff. If it’s cold, I blow dry them,
I do a pretty similar method, though i dont completely put them in, i usually go about trimming the major areas if not able to get it off (just the very bad spots if you cant clean it well) but i first try to put some gloves on and add some slightly warm water like you said to the poopy areas, i work at it for a while and wipe it off, not sure if thats the easiest or best method, but it works for me,
now dealing with a baby is a bit different like i said, babies DEFINITELY do not leave untreated, it can die because they cant poop and such, take a soft cloth and some luke warm water and go in a circular motion rubbing it off gently, it often happens from stess, *not always, but still* do not pull, it will rip the feathers and skin and will be a bad way and hurt them. Do that til it comes off and be sure to be gentle.

dont leave it untreated for adults nor babies, but babies are often very sever. Best of luck

6BeachChicks

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄
Premium Feather Member
Aug 30, 2021
I do a pretty similar method, though i dont completely put them in, i usually go about trimming the major areas if not able to get it off (just the very bad spots if you cant clean it well) but i first try to put some gloves on and add some slightly warm water like you said to the poopy areas, i work at it for a while and wipe it off, not sure if thats the easiest or best method, but it works for me,
now dealing with a baby is a bit different like i said, babies DEFINITELY do not leave untreated, it can die because they cant poop and such, take a soft cloth and some luke warm water and go in a circular motion rubbing it off gently, it often happens from stess, *not always, but still* do not pull, it will rip the feathers and skin and will be a bad way and hurt them. Do that til it comes off and be sure to be gentle.
Of course not on babies! This worked when my chicken was sick, and stuff really got glued on there.

DonyaQuick

Songster
Jun 22, 2021
Upstate NY (Otsego county), USA
I've used wet paper towels to clean pasty butt on my chicks and later to clean the fluffy under-feathers now that they are adults. I put the bird on my lap, held it in place with a hand or under my arm for the adult, and used the other hand to wet the feathers and kind of wiggle the fibers back and forth very gently between my fingers. It takes a while to work it all out with that method, but it avoids getting large areas of the bird wet if drying quickly is important (like in cold weather) and has never damaged any feathers. I like to use Viva paper towels for things like that because they don't fall apart when wet.

Top Bottom