1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I hope someone can help me with this.When my poop door is open(its open daylight to dark) the wind blows in it,it blows the shavings all around and in the winter its very cold.My question is can someone post pictures of what they have done to help with this problem such as building something around it or such,thnks in advance.I`ll post a pic of the door in awhile

2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It may be your best solution will be to rearrange your setup. You could hang rubber strips (if they will go through them) or build a little "front porch" to change the opening 90 degrees, I guess.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I can't find the link at the moment, but I do recall someone from Colorado (I think) posting a picture of a chute that they had built from their popdoor down to the ground. Imagine an ordinary ramp, only with two sides and a roof. I thought it was quite ingenious. It certainly stopped wind from blowing into the coop!

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've seen people build tunnels or chutes like PP said, too. I've also seen little roof extensions with little walls coming right around off the pop door. You could build something like that, but put it at an angle with a little deck under it. Or just make it coming off to the side of the coop (instead of straight out) and then your ramp coming up to it. So build a little square "room" right off your pop door with enough room for your chickens to get around it and just make the opening along the side of your coop instead of straight on-- that should deter the wind. I'd put a little roof on it- doesn't have to cover the entire thing. Think of it as an enclosed porch-- just change the entrance to the side or put it at an angle. Whatever you think will work best. I hope that makes sense, but I think your problem is easily fixable!

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I tarp up the sides of my run in winter time to help keep icy winds out. But you could also stack straw or hay bales (2 high or so) about 2 ft. out from your pop door to serve as a windbreak. An L shape would work even better - 4 bales could do that...that would be a simple solution.

6. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] This is the little door,the wind blows in that direction most of the time even my trees are all bent that way.We have a rope that lifts the door so that kinda hinders what we build.The tunnel thing looks good,but I know I have seen other pictures on here but can`t find them.

7. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

does your pop door flip open from the OUTside of your coop? Not the inside? If so, that is really going to stop you from doing much construction. I'd go with what a PP said above and put up some bales of hay or straw to help block the wind and call it good. That is... unless you want to change your door around so it opens from the inside, then you could build whatever you wanted on the outside.

8. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    It slides up and down to open and close

9. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Build them a little mud room!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by